Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Cygni

Cygni Newbie

The Radeon SDR, Radeon DDR, Radeon VE, and Radeon LE are all R100, too. ;)

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I really appreciate you guys help, providing those specs :D :beer:

The next update will be a little bit late :lol: i'm currently working on two articles :wall:

3. einsig

einsig Newbie

I'd like to see some 3DFX specs.

Also, it may be worth mentioning there are many (ATi made and Sapphire) 9800 Pro 256mb that are actually XT PCB, cores and RAM just flashed with a Pro BIOS. I have one and can confirm the core is a RV360 and the RAM serial #, PCB orientation and PCB serial # are all XT.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, whether they are XT boards or not, they are still 9800 Pro clocked at 9800 Pro speed. Nothing worth mentioning. They perform just like the old R9800 Pro.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The 3dfx specs will be coming up soon! :thumb:

6. einsig

einsig Newbie

Respectfully, I disagree. It is worth mentioning, even if only in this thread. If the purpose of this article is to list the hardware and specs of each model then you should do just that. If a 9800 Pro can be had with a 350 and 360 core it should be noted. The RAM on the XT and "special" Pro is completely different type of GDDR than the "normal" Pro. Both of these can and do have importance. Plus, different hardware is simply different hardware.

Also they do not perform "just" like the regular Pro. The Pros built off the XT parts OC higher and run at different temps (even at stock clock). Obviously due to the core and RAM differences.

I'm not saying it has to end up in the article, but it at least is worth mentioning in the discussion here. It doesn't hurt anything.

7. Adrian Wong

Covering over 180 desktop graphics cards, this comprehensive comparison allows you to easily compare 14 different specifications for each and every card!

If you need to find out about the specification of any card, just come over and check out our Desktop Graphics Comparison Guide!

[​IMG]

Here are the updates :-

- Added the 3dfx section.
    - Added the ATI Radeon 9800 XL and 9550 XT cards.
    - Added the NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS-V card.
    - Updated specifications for the Radeon 9800 Pro 128-bit, 9800 Pro 128MB, 9800 Pro 256MB and AIW Radeon 9800 Pro cards.
    - Updated specifications for the PowerVR PCX1 and PCX2 cards.
    - Added S3 classics - Virge, Virge VX, Virge GX, Virge DX, Virge GX2, Savage 3D, Savage 3D SuperCharged, Savage 4, Savage 4 Pro, Savage 4 Pro +, Savage 4 Xtreme, Savage IX, Savage MX, SuperSavage IX and SuperSavage MX.

Link : The Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Rev. 6.0!

8. forsaken

forsaken Newbie

9. Chai

10. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

Suggestion: Watt-Usage for each card

Think it would be interesting/useful to add a watt-column to this article with the amount of power the different GPU's uses. Both when "idle"(2D) and when under "load"(3D).

Is it relevant for this article ? (Know it requires some digging around to find this information )

11. Chai

Re: Suggestion: Watt-Usage for each card

I don't think manufacturers provide power consumption information.

12. mgoldb2

mgoldb2 Newbie

x800 se

acording to the article the x800 se is 128 bit but according to dell it 256 bit. who is mistaken or is there a 128 bit version and a 256 bit version?

13. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

Re: Suggestion: Watt-Usage for each card

It seems you are right :wall:

Would be very surprised if the white papers describing the reference design doesn't include specification of the power consumption (So the manufacture will use the right components incase they dont follow the reference design). Though it certainly seems it is not something which is given to the average user:
    Review sites only seems to be able to measure the actual power consumption of the entire system (Though it is a little difficult as one requires a reference number, and one could imagine that CPU and RAM would draw more power when the graphics adapter isnt the bottleneck) :

http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q2/radeon-x800/index.x?pg=27
    http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/stromverbrauch_grafikkarten/

One could make an estimate based on the bus along with the amount of molex's attached (Guess it only goes for high-end cards where molex-power is being used, though the power-consumption for the high-end cards GF4 and beyond is the ones I find interesting):

http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/6800upower

The manufactures of a power supplies also wants to help, but it seems that they add a little extra on top of the actual numbers:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Guess I just have to live without knowing :)

14. Adrian Wong

Actually power consumption varies a lot with the card's work load and the clock speeds of its GPU and memory chips.

So, every card will have different power consumption at any point in time, even if you are comparing the same model.

15. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

Eventhough I have realized that getting the numbers for power consumption isnt entirely easy then I did specify in my first post the following:
    But I think I have closed this suggestion myself after realizing it is not that easy to get these numbers.

16. Cygni

Cygni Newbie

Awesome to see some of my info get used! :D You still have some more to go though! Although the companies and cards not listed yet are ancient, heh.

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Cygni we really appreciate all your help ;) :thumb:

18. Agent_J

Agent_J Newbie

nVidia GeForce 6600 was previewed today ;)

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'll add that one in ;) Thanks :mrgreen:

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hi! The guide has just been updated! :wave:

Covering over 180 desktop graphics cards, this comprehensive comparison allows you to easily compare 14 different specifications for each and every card! If you need to find out about the specification of any card, just come over and check out our Desktop Graphics Comparison Guide!

We hope it will prove to be a useful reference. We will keep this guide updated regularly so do check back for the latest updates!

Here are the updates:-
    - Added the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 and 6600GT cards.
    - Added the ATI Radeon 9250 card.
    - Total cards : 189

[​IMG]

Link : The Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 6.1!