Desktop or Laptop?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chai, Mar 20, 2011.

?

Primary Workstation: Desktop or laptop?

1. Desktop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Laptop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lung

lung Just Started

Desktop for gaming.
    Laptop for work (mobility).
    Tablet for surfing.

If I don't game, I don't think I'll own a desktop.
    Nowadays a tablet can do anything except that... Well PC gaming, that is.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nothing beats a proper desktop for long hours of surfing, in terms of ergonomics and flexibility. I surf and watch Youtube for very long hours on certain days. Things that I can do on tablet, I'm already doing it on my phone, so I have not owned a tablet so far...

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I used to be a notebook person, until one day my digital photography folder broke the 1tb barrier and there's no practical+lightweight+affordable solution for that.

4. lung

lung Just Started

There's your answer. :)

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My answer? Technically I bought a tablet for my wife, so I don't 'owned' it. :haha: But I know I'm not jealous nor craving for one. :mrgreen:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I have to say that they are quite different beasts - the tablet and the PC.

I enjoy playing games on the tablet, and there are many games that work best on the tablet. Yet, when it comes to FPS games, the PC is still the best platform for me. There's no beating the accuracy and speed of the mouse and keyboard combination. :D

7. Adrian Wong

External HDD? Or you can always try to install two HDDs in your notebook. But yeah, nothing beats desktop if you want loads of storage space... cheaply. :D

8. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Nah, a permanently-dangling hard disk is not practical, and notebooks that can take two drives are usually not of the lightweight/subnote/ultrabook kind.

9. Adrian Wong

Sadly, dual-spindle notebooks tend to be larger and heavier. The ultrabooks, like MacBook Pros, are not designed to allow you to swap HDDs, much less add another. :(

Now, I'm just waiting to see when ultrabooks with a large enough SSD (500 GB) at below RM 4K.

10. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Wasn't there a Lenovo U-series ultrabook going for under RM2K? Slap on a 480GB or 512GB SSD and you've got yourself a sub-4K ultrabook.

11. Adrian Wong

Really? I'll go check it out!

12. shinjiru

shinjiru Newbie

I would say both have their advantages/ disadvantages and uses. Desktops are not movable but they could be really fast and with better processor cooling and all that stuff. Laptops are mobile but they have certain restrictions of their own like battery time and heating issues etc.

13. tytyty

tytyty Newbie

i would always go for a realy desktop. The position to work and the power is still a huge difference.

a great compormise is a laptop with externa screen and input devices. Than its almost more like a transportable desktop ;)

14. Adrian Wong

I get away by hooking up my notebook to a large LCD monitor, and a keyboard and a mouse, so it essentially functions like a desktop at home / office. That said, it certainly doesn't have the processing and graphics capability of a real desktop.

My son just made me realise the usefulness of a notebook. Not two hours ago, he came into my room and turn off the power to the notebook! No reason.. Just for fun.. Man, if I had a desktop, he would have gotten a real whooping! :haha:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i believe it's just a matter of time before Microsoft's 2in1 (hybrid) vision gets very practical. and I think we are getting very very close.

the hardware has arrived. software is being refined. then, we need a great, quality device maker. Fortunately, MS (& Asus/Samsung) has decided to take charge of their destiny instead of letting Dell and HP screw up the next 5 years.

Cant wait for Surface Pro 2 :D :D

16. Adrian Wong

Jason is eager to get the Surface Pro, but I think I would rather wait for Surface Pro 2, which should be using Haswell. :D