differences between GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 and ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by MSwhip, Jan 8, 2012.

1. MSwhip

MSwhip Newbie

I see that there is about C$ 70 price difference between both.
    I see that they both support the Intel Z68 chipset. Both support Intel SRT technology. Sata 3, USB 3.0.
    Do they both come with integrated audio and graphics on board the MOBO?
    Do they both support Intel i5 and i7 current Sandy Bridge procesors 2500k and 2600k as well as supoprting the upcoming Ivy Bridge?

What does the more expensive ASUS give me that the Gigabyte does not?

I would appreciate your contributions to clarify this for me.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

If you take a closer look, you will realize the Asus in an ATX size while the Gigabyte is a Micro-ATX size.

ATX is bigger than Micro-ATX = You can fit in more ports/slots.

So if you compare the specs, you will find the Asus having more slots/ports.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

zy is right. The two motherboards are targeted at different market segments - ATX and micro-ATX.

The ASUS motherboard has an extra PCI Express x1 slot and two extra PCI slots (none in the Gigabyte board). It also has an extra SATA 3 Gb/s port and two extra USB 2.0 ports at the back panel.

The ASUS motherboard definitely has more features than the Gigabyte motherboard, but that doesn't mean it's what you need. You need to decide if you need the extra features, and can afford the extra cost.