Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by itld, Mar 30, 2003.

1. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    Can i ask about Digital cameras here?? if not close or delete this thread.

i am lookin to purcahse a digital camera in the next week or so, i'm planning on spending $300.00 - $400.00US.
    what brands should i concider, what features should i look for??

thanks for any help you can offer.

M.R.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, this is the correct place to post. At that price range, you should be able to get good 2 or 3 MP cameras. What are you using it for? Outdoor shooting, indoor, macro, long range(high optical zoom)? Need high Megapixels?

3. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    the main purpose for the camera is to document things in my business.
    so most of the pictures i take are short (less than 1 meter) to medium (10 meters) mostly indoors with fair to poor lighting. we inspect bridge cranes and other industrial equipment.
    the second pupose is family stuff, catching pictures of the kids being kids, this would require some action shots, both indoors and outdoors.
    my last camera (Cannon D490) was a 2.1 MP and i was impressed with the photo quality. i also have several Smart media memory cards left over from my old camera, i would like to use them if possible but i won't let that have much effect on my choice.

M.R.

4. elkjunkie

elkjunkie Newbie

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html
    This site has good reviews of digital cameras. If you can find what you want in a 3 mp camera with a 3x optical zoom go for it. You gain very little for everyday use going to a 4 mp or larger sensor. Ignore and reference to digital zoom as it is nothing more than hype.
    A 2 mp camera should be the smallest sensor size that you purchase.
    There are many around with 3x optical zoom in that price range and will give you good prints up to 8 x 10.
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
    This is another good site for reviews and forum information.
    Hope this helps.
    Once you get a decent digital you will rarely go back to film.

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

hmm if u still want to reuse those SM cards then i might want to suggest Fuji DigiCam...

as for model... ussualy, go for the best u can afford!

6. itld

itld Newbie

howdy,
    thanks for the links, i have looked at the Fuji cameras they have listed on Steves Digicams and a lot of the 3MP cameras are in my price range.

thanks again.

M.R.

7. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Seem that u still have Smart Media Card, as what peaz said get a Fujifilm Digicam....Most people will look into MP 1st.... then optical zoom then aperture and also the shutter speed....

I having Fujifilm F601 Zoom... Not bad. The next thing is the ISO 1600, this is the best man... NOt all the DigiCam Have this ...

Just check out this http://www.fujifilm.com.my/CAM_F601.htm

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Optical Zoom is a must!!! you'll regret if you don't have it.

2.0Mpix is enough for candid shots but if you like to get huge printouts and have a lot of space to do editing you ought to opt for higher MPs.

btw as for shutter speed, i'm currently using the Olympus C-2 Zoom and it' shutter speed without flash is rather slow. most times results in blurry images since my hand isn't 100% firm. very hard to take pics of my fish that are always on the move.

9. Chai

Using flash or without flash will not affect the shutter speed. You have to manually adjust the shutter speed if you want to capture fast moving object.

10. goldfries

it depends on camera. like for my camera, shutter speed cannot be adjusted.

this model has been known for slow shutter speed as people did talk about it on forums.

if not mistaken, the amount of light in the surrounding will determine shutter speed as in my case. flash and no flash is a lot of difference.

11. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Normally the the shutter speed will depend on the aperture also... If the aperture is higher around 8 then the shutter speed will be long to capture a good picture....

The aperture is to control the light that going into your cam... Those place that too bright the aperture will be higher...For normal sunny day just use 2.8 to 4 for aperture and 1/50 to 1/200 for shutter speed is good enough...

U can get those CAM that PRESET to capture the fast movement of object.... In this case the lense will open and close very fast, in order to get the picture bright enough, your CAM must have at least ISO 800 is better. For ISO 400 also can but picture will a bit blur.....

12. Chai

The only thing I don't really understand is ISO settings.

13. peaz

ISO defines the grainyness and sharpness of the picture taken into the films... well.... in digital camera terms... i think it only defines the speed...

different from a mechnical camera...

ISO 100 is best sharp pictures.. but u'll need a lot of lightsource with this... cos shutter speed is faster
    ISO 200-400 is very common and gives more vivid colour... again this is due to the fact that we ussually take pictures indoors... so 200-400 is more suitable for normal cameras.

as for IS0 > 400 this can be used for nightshots... ISO1600, u can take nightshots without flash.. but ifi'm not mistaken...the shutter speed will be as slow as almost 1 seconds!

again.. i'm talking in mechanical camera terms... not digital camera.. dun have one yet.. so i dun know how it applies here.

14. Chai

I thought the shutter speed is shutter speed? Nothing to do with ISO settings right?

15. goldfries

ISO determines the sensitivity of the camera system to light. Increasing or decreasing the ISO increases or decreases sensitivity.

Shutter speed is shutter speed.

16. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Yup the higher ISO like 1600 can capture picture at nite without the flash, but the shutter speed must be very slow.. So it can get all the light into the CAM...

The bad about higher ISO is the picture quality will be a bit blur, coz it add up the brightness of the picture that u capture.....

Anyway a ISO like 1600 is the best to capture those fast movement like train...Coz the lense opne and close very fast... and it need higher ISO to bright up the picture :lol:

17. goldfries

er........wait. the

ISO settings on the digital camera will affect shutter speed. right?

18. peaz

Elton.. i think u are mistaken. to capture fast moving objects.. u set it to lower ISO levels... best is 100 or even as low as 50... yes I've seen this before.. :) my dad was an amatuer prothographer...

anyways.. indigital camera terms... i think it's just a present for apature and shutter speeds.. nothing else..

oh, ISO levels affects picture quality A LOT...

19. peaz

well... in terms of a mechanical camera... ISO determines the sensitivity of the FILM towards light... so goldfries.. u are right.

and shutter speed is shutter speed... yes... Chai's right..

but these two have to play along to get the effect u want.. UNLESS u use a FULLY MANUAL camera.. u have to set everything yourself.

normal cameras would have the optimum presets there already for you to choose...

anyway... ISO levels are just 'catch-words' in digital camera terms.... what sensitivity towards light? i didn't know that CCD can set the sensitivity one... :)

20. goldfries

i believe that the ISO settings in digital camera determines the light sensor's sensitivity, therefore determines how much light to be received.

if i'm not mistaken, lighting in surrounding does affect shutter speed. shutters move faster in broad daylight than in a dark room.