Digital TV signal in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi there, I would like to ask about the availability of digital TV signal in Malaysia.

Anyone know anything?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Not available yet, if I'm not mistaken. Supposed to start with RTM's channels.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I heard that RTM are currently testing digital brodcasting in 1080. Certain areas can receive it.

I am about to receive a hybrid tuner, so I would be eager to test it out :D

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

We need a special receiver for all that? :roll:

5. Adrian Wong

Really? Should be starting in the Klang Valley first

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah, you will need a special receiver for it.

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Anyway guys, what do you think will happen if I use Astro dish and connect to digital tuner? Does the dish works as antenna?

8. Adrian Wong

Why would you want to do that? :think:

The Astro dish is a satellite dish. If I'm not mistaken, the digital TV signals are still being transmitted via RF (radio frequency), so hooking it up to a satellite dish won't do any good.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Thanks for clearing things up, I could be receiving my TV Tuner in few weeks time, I heard there are 5 DVBT channels being tested in klang valley area.

Keep my fingers crossed haha

10. Adrian Wong

How did you sign up for the test program?

11. 64bit

64bit Newbie

No signing up is required. Just get yourself a DVB-T receiver, as far as I know, there are only PCI/USB receiver available in Malaysia right now, means you need your computer to watch it. Connect the receiver to your external UHF/VHF attenna or use the in-built one and use the software given to tune in.

12. Adrian Wong

I think they are starting up a pilot program for TVs.

I'm just wondering.. how long do we have to wait before TVs here come with digital tuners?? Or do they already have them?

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I never come across any TV with digital tuners in Malaysia yet, not viable. Perhaps when Malaysia broadcasting goes fully digital in 2015 I think

14. Adrian Wong

Me neither. Just wondering when they are going to start shipping with them since RTM plans to start tests soon.

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I think some TVs already have them. The US is going full digital next year.

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Malaysia still in testing phase, and fully digital by 2015, that also digital only, not yet HD LOL

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

We already have HD over the air (but satellite HD ftw).. :mrgreen:

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Is it? My neighbours have those illegal dish and decoder but the output is only RCA, not component, not HDMI

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah. Tons of HD channels.

My decoder has tons of outputs at the back. Among them component, HDMI (which I use) and Optical (for Audio).

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Wow, that's nice !!

How much did you pay for everything and where did you get it from?

If I were to get the same one as you did, what do I tell the seller of these illegal dishes?