Digital TV signal in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Er...he's from US... :haha:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha. Yeah. A minor detail that I left out. :lol:

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

LOL, that means no free to air HD channels in malaysia right

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Not sure how it will be there but the 'normal' channels are broadcasted over the air in HD already here (in some markets) using a HD antenna.

Cable or sattelite providers will include those channels in their packages as well (and eliminating a need for a big ugly HD antenna).

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Not yet. I think it will be a long time to come before we get HD channels here.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Nono, I mean, can Malaysia receive FTA HD channels from other country using illegal dish and decoder?

7. Adrian Wong

If you can leech them from a satellite, yeah. But if you are talking about channels broadcasted by air, I don't think there are any countries with HD content in range... :think:

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I envy those living in Johor, can leech Singapore HD channels

9. Adrian Wong

They already have HD channels???? :think:

But frankly speaking, I wouldn't bother subscribing to Astro if I live in Melaka or further south. Singaporean FTA channels are FAR superior to our pay-to-view Astro channels. :mad:

10. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

only one FTA HD channel~ those living at JB probably will able to receive HD5 & some other SD digital channels with the use of HD receiver & right antenna~. cheaper alternative is to use USB or PCI DVB-T tuner to watch it on desktop~ :wave:

earlier they were showing repeated AVP~ :doh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Adrian Wong

Damn.. I wouldn't mind that. Heheh.. At least you have one FTA HD channel! We have NONE. :mad:

Even our paid channels are crap. :mad:

12. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

using the usb DVB- T tuner still need antenna?
    melaka can receive the channel?
    if can I might consider to invest one :lol:

13. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

though there's FTA HD channel, i believe the % of the households tuning to it are very few. reason being, most households dun use antenna to watch TV cos they are only connected to cable tv point. since the cable company & the FTA tv station are different company, they didn't come to an agreement to transmit HD5 for free~ this mean in order to watch HD5 thru cable is to subscribe the cable company HD set-up-box~ :doh:

the rest of the FTA analog channels are not affected as the authority make it mandatory for the cable company to transmit them free~ :silenced:

14. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

yes, u need a good receiving antenna~
    if your home can view singapore analog channels w/o much distortion, u can give it a try~ :wave:

15. Adrian Wong

I used to watch Singaporean FTA analog channels in Melaka, but only a few areas had coverage. Once I moved to my house in Bukit Baru, I was beyond range. :(

TCS should consider boosting their transmitter's range to cover KL. Hehehe... I'll bet it will cut Astro's subscriptions by at least half! :twisted:

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmm, I can see some pixelated images on the HD screenshot above

17. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is due to compression.

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It seems like a 720p stream stretched to 1080

19. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

Sg adopt H.264/ mpeg4 1080i format for HD broadcast~ definitely not the best as compare to blu-ray however the lower bandwidth make a popular for quite no. of countries to adopt this standard as well~ :silenced:

i reduced the pic jpeg compression when i did the earlier screen captured, compare to SD, that's consider quite alot of improvement~ :silenced:

SD & HD broadcast of the same movie, black hawk down~ :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& one HK drama~

[​IMG]

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Okay, that is amazing, Malaysia will only go full digital in 2015, not to mention HD, I wonder when will we see pirated bluray on the street