Digital TV signal in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

does the refresh rate matter a lot?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It does on CRTs, but I don't think it matters on LCDs. Have to compare first to make sure though...

3. Adrian Wong

AFAIK, LCD TVs are usually 50/60 Hz. In those 100/120 Hz TVs, they automatically generate an extra frame between two actual frames.

It may not sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in CRT TVs. I don't think it matters as much for LCDs but I will have to compare to be sure.

Well, no complaints about my Dell monitors (other than the on-off QC problems!) but they are all 60 Hz monitors. Haven't seen a 120 Hz LCD yet to know the difference.

4. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

100/120hz does a make a noticeable difference~ the moving scene is more seamless and plasma like~ for the 200hz sony model, i hv yet to see it on my neighbour store~ :pray:

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Samsung are now releaseing 16:9 aspect ratio full HD lcd monitors, what happened to 16:10 ?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...it's noticable, but not that much. I guess I'm just too used to 24fps movies.

7. Chai

A bit off topic, that's because 16:9 is the standard ratio for HD screens. 16:10 is not.

8. Adrian Wong

Dang... Now it becomes a headache. :haha: :haha:

100/120 Hz LCD TVs are really expensive, especially if you want 1080p panels.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yeap, I know about that, but 16:9 would seem a little too 'wide' for a PC compared to 16:10, so is the entire industry ditching 16:10 already?

10. Chai

Thanks to the wide adoption of HD, I guess that's the way it's going to be, except for professional displays.

I never like wide screen.

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

16:9 is a dumb reso for PC.

where did the vendors get the ball to claim that 16:9 is better than 16:10 for PC. this world is going crazy!

12. Chai

4:3 FTW! :p

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, too bad 4:3 is limited to 20" max :(

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

So games would soon have to feature 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratio resolutions