Do you use a password manager to manage your passwords?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Dashken, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!!! Capitalizing that won't help lah...

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Obviously! :haha: You think he would be stupid enough to tell you? :haha:

3. Adrian Wong

At least try Shift + 12345678

Or do it in reverse : Shift + 098765432

LOL!

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I have a password type for different "segments".

Banking, gaming, forums, etc.

Each password "type" has a few variations - different punctuation, capitalization (or lack of), etc.

Each type is alpha numeric and symbols (where applicable on the last one) and is a pass phrase type (though unrelated to the "segment").

I do need to try and login a few times though hahaha if I forget which combo for which site. :p

5. Adrian Wong

Hehe... That's the problem when you have multiple passwords. But using a single password is definitely dangerous.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahaha is okay that's for internal network only..

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, especially when the corporate implement 90 days password reset policy, and you can't use similar password or reuse password until after 8 different passwords. Not only a password manager is required, you may even need a password generator!

8. Adrian Wong

Okay, I hate that policy because it means password fragmentation OR I will have to change the same password for other websites. :wall:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah I have that at work which sucks. I tried doing the password1, password2, password3 (changing the number) and it worked fine for a while, but they clamped down on that.

10. Adrian Wong

Do they ban you from EVER using the same password again? I really hate that one...

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Not really ban, but they won't let you use the one which resembles the one you're changing from... but down the road, 90 days, you won't even remember your previous password. I know I don't... So, you keep changing until it sticks... which means playing with the SHIFT button and the symbols a lot.. :haha:

12. Adrian Wong

How often do they force you to change it? I think it's not so bad if they force you to change once a year, but if it's every 3 months... :wall:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

3 months or 90 days... I think that's standard. :D

14. Adrian Wong

LOL! I think you will have to come up with something like... password11111, followed by password22222, then password33333. LOL! :D

15. jamesmartin

jamesmartin Banned

what i do is i keep three pasword, and choose 1 from them for a new website.

if i forget a password , i just have to do check all three.