DVD-ROM problems...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lung, Apr 4, 2003.

1. lung

lung Just Started

Okay I own an aOpen DVD-ROM drive model 1648 (16x read)

Problem is that this drive can't detect and play certain DVDs. Totally random. Some DVD titles can be played perfectly, some can only be detected, but cannot play (powerDVD gives 'unsupported format'), some cannot detect at all! ('no disc in d:' :()

Anyone in this forum encounter similar problems? Any solution?

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Welcome to ARP Forums, lung!!!

most probably different region settings. you can change the region but up to 5 times only.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's most likely due to disc incompatibility. There's nothing you can really do about it. Flashing the latest firmware might solve the problem.

4. drab

drab Newbie

Could need the lens cleaning?

5. goldfries

i use PowerDVD. if not mistaken, i got that error message when i was playing 1 DVD, so i changed region to US or something and it worked.

6. lung

lung Just Started

Firmware flashed to latest version... No effect.

Doesn't sound like a region settings error, but if what goldfries said is true, then I should give it a try later... Problem is, how do I know which region to switch to? I may use up all my region switches! :( (I only have 2 switches available now)

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

lookup for region hacks and GONE are all the region settings headaches!!! :)

8. goldfries

you have any? i want one too.

9. lung

lung Just Started

Region hacks r only available for certain firmware versions... If u can find the region hack for aOpen 1648 firmware R17, pls let me know cos I would LOVE to get my hands on it! :D

10. Chai

I thought you have already region hacked the drive. :D

11. lung

lung Just Started

Nope, my drive is not region-hacked.

And goldfries, switching regions doesn't work... :(

12. Chai

Seriously, I think it has nothing to do with region. If it's region problem, the error message would have been incorrect region or something, not 'cannot read' type of error. I think you can't fix that kind of problem, except for changing a new drive...

13. peaz

well, some DVDs especially dual layered ones are just not readable on DVD-ROM drives... it just shows Zero-bytes for every file even though it plays well on the DVD player...

that's just it... nothing anyone can do about it.... life goes on.... get a DVD player and enjoy the DVD on ur larger screen TV lor

14. lung

lung Just Started

Yes, it is showing zero bytes for most files... I heard using WinDVD instead of PowerDVD can fix the problem. Seems that PowerDVD has problem when it comes to reading DVDs with multimedia features. Haven't try, though.

15. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

So have to try on the WinDVD, my friend face the same problem with u, after he using the WinDVD everything go fine... :lol:

16. peaz

not necessarily... the DVD rom showin zero bytes mean the drive itself cannot read the files... how can winDVD magically make the drive read the files????

17. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

I also not sure, he really show me the magic@@!!!!

18. lung

lung Just Started

Yep, that's what I'm going to try... Maybe u should try too, peaz :)

19. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

We always say that computer only read and output 1 and 0 But some time come out 2 hahaaa :lol:

20. Yupie

Yupie News Writer

huh... the winDVD is David Copperfield ah? :lol:

nevermind, one of my housemate also face this problem... i will try the dvd on David Copperfield and see... see it can show me magic or not...?? ;)

but if the drive show the disk is 0 byte mean the drive cant read the disk oledi rite... nothing do with the winDVD or powerDVD.. rite??? :?: :roll:

hmm.. nvm can test on my frenz dvd and see....