E6400 vs E6700

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by peaz, Jul 15, 2012.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I've a desktop here that's been running fine with an E6400 CPU. But it tends to be a little slow encoding 2 videos to h264 format in real time for streaming to my two iPads. Therefore, Ive been thinking of upgrading it instead of buying a newer system. Question I have is that is the E6700 significantly faster that the E6400? even with just 500MHz clock speed? Does the extra 2MB cache helps with video encoding?

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Maybe a quad core would better suit your needs?:think:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, Trinity is right. Quad core would have been more effective. I don't think cache will help in such situation. Video encoding needs raw power.

4. peaz

Is there a quad core CPU for the 775 socket? I am limited by the current mobo and chipset that the Dell Optiplex comes with the Q963 express chipset. Last I check, the highest CPU I could go with is still a dual core one. For a quad core, I'd me to basically replace the whole system, then I might as well go with a new Mac Mini.

5. Trinity

Your looking for a Q6600.:)

I know my old P965 chipset supports quad core.

6. Trinity

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did it say it doesn't support quad-core? I think it should have no problem supporting Core 2 Quad processors.

8. Trinity

Intel® Q963 Express Chipset

The quad cores don't show up on the list of compatable cpu's. Click the 'compatable product's tab then processors tab and look at the list.

9. Trinity

On the brite side the old C2D's are really overclockable!:)

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

why not gpu accelerated encoding?

11. peaz

The optiplex chassis is small. Can't fit any standard GPUs. Anyways just trying to see if I can get more mileage of this old box. If not then its a new box for me sometime down the road...