e6850 OCing

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by PsYkHoTiK, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

Ok, I think I am starting to get it. Thanks for the lessons! :beer:

I thought I had to stay under the 800 limit for the ram. Cool, I will tinker a bit and see what happens. I was also looking to replace my ram with a some 1066 stuff. We'll see if I have some extra cash.

Thanks again...Im sure I will be popping pack up with some questions.

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Actually, there is no need to replace your ram. Your ram should be able to handle at least around 450MHz(DDR900) overclock. At FSB450/RAM450, your C2D would be running at 450x9=4050MHz. This is provided that you choose the "lowest" 1:1 ram divider (your FSB/RAM will be in sync), which is actually suitable in your case because when you increase your FSB, your ram speed won't increase as much as when you select other "higher" ram dividers such as 5:6 and so on, where your ram will easily reaches it's limit, thus limiting the overclock on your processor.

Prime-stable at 4GHz or beyond is not an easy task at all (ask PsYkHoTiK LOL), so there's plenty of headroom for you to play with before your CPU reaches it's limit.

Therefore, your aim should be keeping the CPU multiplier as high as possible and choose the "lowest" ram divider, in order to achieve the highest CPU clock speed while keeping your ram to run at the lowest speed possible.

My explanation is not good lol, but I hope you can understand :mrgreen:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Don't touch the multiplier. Set the memory to 1:1. Just increase the FSB slowly, and increase the memory timings if needed. Only increasing the clock speed will give you significant gains. The rest doesn't really matter.

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Exactly what I'm trying to say :haha: You made it sound much simpler :haha:

5. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

I was able to set the cpu to 3.71, I have the Asus pc probe running and it set off an alert for the fsbt. I think the voltage went up to 1.46 (I think). Is this a bad thing. the cpu temp was within limits.

How do you know what to set the NB and SB voltage too? or do you even mess with that stuff?

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

What kind of cooling do you have (not sure if you've posted it before). :)

For temps, use CoreTemp 0.95.4
    Core Temp

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You are currently at around 412MHz FSB I assume? I think for your mainboard this kind of FSB speed is just a piece of cake, no need bump the NB voltage yet. As for the SB voltage, don't touch it :mrgreen:

8. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

Ok recap...I up the fsb to 412. I up the voltage to 1.45ish. And I up the memory voltage to 1.8-9ish. Everything else I set to auto.

I am using the Zalmans 9700, I have the cool master:
    Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKR3-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W Power Supply - Retail

I put 4 fans in the side, one on top, one in the front by the HD, and one rear fan by the cpu. So the system stays pretty cool. My only concern is the fsbt alert that keeps going off.

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Don't worry about the alarm from your Asus Probe software. A lot of people are running much higher FSB than you are right now :) I think there should be an option in the software that allows you to adjust the threshold for the alarm to trigger so that it won't show up again, or just simply disable it.

10. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

Ok, so what should I do when I run the Orthos and it fails? last time it ran for 8 minutes and died. Then when I went back into the bios the screen was flashing red and blue.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Bump up the vcore a step up. :)

12. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

Up the vcore...so I should increase the the fsb ot the volts? I noticed that you are running at 3.95, what are your spec?

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Keep upping the FSB and if it wont boot, check ur ram and or up voltage by an increment and keep going.

The ceiling would be 60C on temps.

I use watercooling so my loads are at a very cool 40C (voltage is 1.5v). :)

14. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

I will try that when I get home tonight. Hopefully Ill have some good news to report on tomorrow. Thanks guys for all your help! I am really glad I came across this site! :beer:

15. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

I guess next you will have to help with OCing my video card. I have the xfx gtx 8800 575mhz.

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Good luck! :D

17. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

Ok here are my specs at idle:
    cpu:
    core voltage:1.440v
    core speed: 3708.6mhz
    multiplier: x9.0
    bus speed:412.1 mhz
    rated fsb: 1648.2 mhz

Timing:
    frequency: 412mhz
    fsb:dram: 1:1 (should I be running 5:6 instead? Better yet is this a good score for my rig?)
    cas: 5.0 clocks
    ras: 6 clocks
    ras: 6 clocks
    cycle time: 18 clocks
    command rate: 2t

core temp:
    frequency:3708.48mhz (412.05x 9.0)
    VID:1.3500v
    Tjunction: 100c ( Is this an issue?)
    core 0: 34-34c
    core 1: 34-35c

Ok so is there anything I need to change or modify or be concerned about. I will try to run orthos in a little while. I am hoping it runs for at least a few hours.

I ran 3DMark and got a score of 11331. Is this what I should expect?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I would recommend that you run prime95 v253 rather then orthos. :think:

But great job so far! :D

19. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

If i check to see how much memory I am running in Xp is comes up as 3350mb. Do you know the full 4gb isnt showing?

I will try Prime. As far as what I touched in the bios, vcore, fsb and the dram voltage. Is there anything else I need to look at? Does the memory clocks look inline?

Im actually glad someone is online while Im doing this.

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

4GB of ram = 64bit OS.

x86 (32bit) windows can only handle up to 4GB Physical. You intend to get 4096MB ram right? So you think you will just loose 96mb of ram? Nope. 4GB is the total physical address. All the cache, on board ram on the graphics card, basically everything. Ram has the lowest priority. I am currently on a 32bit OS (waiting to get a second Raptor X to run in RAID0 - I do it for simplicity mainly - easier to manage a 'single' array vs two hard drives - Gonna move my other hardrives in a WHS soon). My ram that is addressable in Windows is ~3.3GB right now. So my reapers aren't maximized currently.

Screenie below:

[​IMG]

And the physical setup courtesy of CPUz: CPU-Z Validator Database

Just to show what is detected by Vista and what I actually have on.

Straight from MSDN: