e6850 OCing

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by PsYkHoTiK, Aug 6, 2007.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You should use CoreTemp. :thumb:

My load is low 40s... :mrgreen:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wah you actually bought a E6850 and used a RM100 cooler??? :faint:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

When I was running Prime95, 100% load, I ran CoreTemp, straightaway blue screen. :haha:

Btw, the CoreTemp and Intel TAT both reported idle temp at 30s when in the BIOS it's reporting 50s idle.

That's why I changed to ASUS Probe and another ASUS utility. :mrgreen:
    No money already la... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Which air cooler do you suggest? The Thermaltake 120 that Peaz bought? Is there any screw-in version, coz I hate those push-in clip version. I pushed the CoolerMaster Hyper TX until my thumb went numb especially the one hidden beside the PSU. Had to use torchlight somemore. :wall:

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Make sure you use 0.95.4, the earlier version 0.95 has some issues.

LOL, just remove the mainboard to install the heatsink if you are having a hard time trying to secure the push pins into the mounting holes. If it's using screws (which means backplate), you still need to remove the mainboard to install the backplate anyway.

It's Thermalright btw, not the crap Thermaltake :mrgreen: If you want an upgrade, get TRUE (upgraded version of TR Ultra-120), the best heatsink right now.

Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Eh, Thermaltake pulak. :haha:

Well, the problem is I hate removing the mainboard. Unlike yours, mine is in the case. :mrgreen:

Just now tried 370x9@3330Ghz, temp straightaway shot to 92 degrees on load. Crazy! Quickly stopped Prime95. :faint:

365x9, got error at Prime95 after just 5 mins. :(

Die... Sigh, if I'd known better, I should have stayed with the E6600. :wall:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Thermal throttling is what happens when your CPU overheats. It either inserts idle cycles or clocks down to "cool" off. You can keep overclocking higher and higher but in reality, your performance is no better.

Some details here - Tech ARP - CPU Thermal-Throttling

7. Starblaq

Starblaq Newbie

Ok guys Im back and it appears that I cant get to 3.7 stable. I saw this article today from tomshardare:

Overclocking: Dual- vs. Quad-Core CPUs | Tom's Hardware

I basically tried to follow the e6750 specs but the only thing I couldnt do was set my memory timing to 4-4-4-12. It seems like Im stuck at 5-5-5-18.

Is this ok, or is there a way to get my timing down? Also any suggestion about getting my box over the 3.6 hump. Ill give my spec if you need them. Thanks!

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

But you wanted the screw-in version, which has a backplate and you MUST to remove the mainboard to install it :haha:

Seriously, get a better cooler for your CPU :mrgreen:

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

No no you don't follow exactly other peoples overclocked settings :mrgreen: You can use them as reference but don't follow everything :) Every chip is unique (even the same model) and can have very different overclocking potential.

Have you tried increasing vcore? What voltage is it currently running right now @ 3.6GHz?

10. Chai

And just leave the timings at 5-5-5-18. I'm running mine at 5-5-5-15. Stable and just as fast.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

So I was playing with Super Pi 1M...

Finally went below 13s (just a hair)... :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

• sp1m.jpg
      sp1m.jpg
      File size:
      366.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Chai

What's that Super Mario doing in the background? LOL

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

100bucks say it's the wii effect

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LMAO!

Thats my wallpaper. For those who are super mario fans (hey I grew up playing 1, 2, 3, and super mario world) this is the first level of the first world on Super Mario Bros 3.

I'll post it in the wallpaper thread once I clean my icons up LMAO!

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

16. milan03

milan03 Newbie

I've got E6750 and i can superPi @ 4ghz on air with about 1.52V and its Orthos stable 8+ hours at 3.9Ghz and 1.5V
    I dont have 5 posts here so i cant post any images or urls so hopefully this works: xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169676

Intel E6750 @ 3.9Ghz (488x8)
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    Abit IP35-E Bios 14
    2Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 6400
    HIS HD 2600XT
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Corsair 520W

17. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I used machine screws, lock washers and nuts although you have to remove the Mobo. I tried(modified) an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for 478 socket but wasn't happy with it at all. You can't reverse the fan mounting and since the fan uses PWM you can't simply reverse the polarity to change the direction of airflow.

I went with this as it supports 478 and my upgrade too 775 and also just about everything AMD has to offer. You can change the fan orientation with one phillips screw and for any socket mount the cooler in any orientation you want. Also found the angled heatsink draws off my chipset and ram cooler nicely and I have reversed the fan direction as shown on the pic in "Bragging rights" thread :D

Scythe KATANA 2 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

EDIT: Sorry just noted air cooler but leaving the post as is anyway ;)

18. Chai

That's a very nice overclock! Most E6750 don't do that well.

19. milan03

milan03 Newbie

if anyone is interested, mine was packed 11/20/07 made in Costa Rica, Batch# 3741B003
    CHeers!

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hey Welcome!

That is indeed pretty nuts man.

Nice OC!

I hope more batches are good.... :beer: