Earth Hour

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Falcone, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Before
    [​IMG]

Earth hour
    [​IMG]

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

cool :o)

Was out for dinner at Plaza Dama, Hartamas. Some restaurants turned off the lights, like Starbucks, Sao Nam, most didn't bother at all.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha I'm surprised it even gets any reception over there.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

IKEA, Tesco were so dark outside. :lol:

5. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

I agree with you. My area, those restaurant they dont bother as well.
    Sad to see that..

6. Chai

Actually, I don't really see the purpose of it. You can't save the planet by just turning off lights for 1 hour...

7. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yeah, but I guess it's an initiative to make people more conscious about their energy usage. I decided to return to stock speeds on my processor and undervolted it to 0.95V. :thumb:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's also just a show of support. :D

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

read somewhere about the objective of this event was to raise awareness rather than saving energy.

10. Chai

I'm not sure any one of you shown any support other than big corporations.

And they certainly failed to convey the message of the intention of this event since none of us are even sure.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah which is why I was surprised some building did that over there. We've been hearing it in the news for quite a while and the World Wildlife Fund even took a TV add to ask people to switch off just before the time started. But again, it wasn't to save energy or anything. Just symbolic (support).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

I had a real candle light dinner at TJ Mart foodcourt, Skudai right about after earth hour 930pm. It was because of black out not because of earth hour :lol: The whole foodcourt was lighted with candles

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

agreed.

Turn off the switch when we don't need the light/fan/aircon, this is a principle we have been taught since childhood, and as long as everyone of us practice it, i suppose individually we are doing a good job. I didn't really bother about the Earth Hour. but a few of my friends participated it with great enthusiasm. but then again, their understanding of "reducing one's carbon footprint" is questionable.

14. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

It's meant to be a vote for change to be brought forth by WWF to the Global Climate Change Conference at Coppenhagen this year. That's why the posters says Vote for Earth. Switching it off is the means of voting. Goal was to reach out to 1 billion earthlings.

Of course, the nice side effect is now more ppl are aware of carbon footprint and hopefully ppl starts to research on saving more resources too and their nett effect if everyone does it.

Phok is right. we asians aren't that wasteful compared to the west even when electricity, water and fuel is not cheap over there!

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Actually water and fuel is pretty cheap here. :mrgreen: I think its more expensive in Europe though (I remember the gas prices there were UGH).

But Ken is right. The purpose was to vote and show support. :D

16. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Well it's more of an awareness stunt, I'm surprise it it got quite a coverage here, TV programs and radio and ads, got one TV interview the people, some said they'd stay outside do shopping etc, so technically the house is 'off' :lol: :lol: :lol:

End of the day who gain from this?
    I say it's a conspiracy. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

17. Chai

Yeah, a conspiracy to boycott power company.

18. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Well the stars would look so much better without all the light 'pollution' in the city. Street lights... security lights... Arrrrgggg... A few years ago I bought a nice telescope:D . And then a week later the guy next door decides to put up a super brite security light....:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

It is never dark at night at trin's place.:cry:

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Me too. In fact, I only turn on lights that I need. My house is very "dark" most of the time... unless I have guests! :haha: :haha:

Been taught since young not to waste food, water, electricity, etc. Still remember my father saying, "Do you think my money grows on trees???" :haha: :haha:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Here is another one: "waste rice and u will get ugly wife"

Bahahahaha