Economical Wireless System?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by The_YongGrand, Oct 29, 2005.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hmm... Is it possible to do wireless peer-to-peer, with two computers?

I already have a ADSL router so should I buy another Wireless ADSL combo router or get two Wireless LAN cards instead?

I'm trying to save ringgit by ringgit for this system, since it's so expensive. Furthermore, doing the wiring of my house with plain LAN cables will drive me batty.

What kind of speeds should I need for LAN? 54 or 104 MBps? And I've been hearing about the 801. something standards. Please advise. :D

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The most practical solution is to get a wireless router combo. Adhoc wifi to wifi is not exactly very useful to use.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, get a wireless router. It's not very expensive these days. I reckon a good one (from Linksys?) should not cost you more than RM 220 (USD 60).

4. The_YongGrand

I see.

But I want to do a two-computer wireless LAN?

What's the cheapest ingredient for that?

If I do this: one wireless LAN combo router modem on 1st comp and the another with wireless LAN card,

or each computer has a LAN card and I bridge the LAN card with my basic ADSL router.

or I can buy myself a Wireless Access Point? :D

Which speeds should I choose for a wireless system in a normal single or double storey terrace house? :D

5. Adrian Wong

Since your modem has router functions, you can buy a wireless access point. Best to go for the 802.11g-compatible hardware. That will give you a top speed of 54mbps and better indoor penetration. :think:

6. The_YongGrand

So I have to buy only ONE wireless LAN card to another computer and buy myself an access point? Then they can connect? :D

7. Adrian Wong

Err.. Let me see.

Your router-modem will be connected to the wireless access point. Then whatever PCs you want to connect to the access point needs to have a WiFi card.

8. The_YongGrand

My friend have this thing, it is a Wireless Router, but not a combo.

But I already have a router. So if I connect this wireless thing to my ADSL Combo they'll not work?

What's the cheapest and economical solution for this?

Can I get a wireless card, and one Access point if I want to do two computers? :D

[And does Wireless system support IPX? :D]

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ADSL Combo as in Modem+Router? :D

The easiest way I can think of is, and that's what I did to connect one notebook and 3 PCs.

Phone Line --> ADSL Combo --> Wireless Router --> Notebook+Wifi card / 3 PCs+LAN cables

:dance:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

if one of the pc is near the modem/router ... just use standard LAN cable for one .. & the other on WiFi ..

if they are far away .. have both on WiFi

its up to you :p

11. The_YongGrand

Oh. I'm too lazy to lay the cables, and doing that will tear up my house.

I guess I have to resort to using WiFi, cause, I'm going to move to my new home in Sg. Buloh... I don't want to do all the rewireing again... :D

Is it good to use the USB WiFi adapter which the shape looks like a thumbdrive? :D

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

the advantage of having a usb wifi is that you can use it on the desktop & laptop .. :p ..

if i'm not mistaken usb version usually have a slight lag & it uses more processing power ? :think: this part i'm not sure :p

13. The_YongGrand

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

If you like gaming with the pc, I will not suggest you to use wifi coz it lags. Even in LAN games, the wifi pc already lag sometimes. :doh:

15. The_YongGrand

How bad is the lagging when using Wi-Fi system? Only a little bit of games, I think. The rest is internet connection sharing. :D

16. Adrian Wong

No idea what Annex B support is but both should be fine for your use.

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

How bad? Hmm... a little I guess. Even using laptop on wifi also feels the lag already. But laptop is worse I think, I had to plug in a LAN cable to be able to play properly, was shooting walls and my colleague asked me why I shoot walls only... :haha:

My friend said got lag, but not sure how bad it is, somemore he was just playing on LAN with the other guys. If over the Internet, it could be worse. :mrgreen:

18. The_YongGrand

I've linked up my friend's Aztech NA8300 with my DSL600EU, but it's so troublesome. I have to bridge the ethernet modem first and then connect to the wireless device.

I don't want to bridge the thing anymore.

Can I do away with an access point and bridge with the modem? Sounds much more easier.

And when I'm doing wireless with my friend's notebook, I don't know why he detected the "Unsecured wireless network".

Any way to secure it? I don't know about these MAC address, security protocols,....... :shock: :D

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... no need to set MAC address, etc. If you want the easy way, can just set the password (WEP Encryption). I'm using 64 bit one... coz the 128 bit is too darn long. :mrgreen:

Here's a guide for Linksys BEFW11S4, see if it helps with your Aztech NA8300. :D

20. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. I use MAC address filtering to maximize transfer speeds. :mrgreen:

But it takes a little extra work. WEP is easier because you just need to set the password and as long as everyone uses that password, they gain access.