Experience at Malaysian Immigration

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The local government agencies have always been famous for their inefficiency, it's so bad you have to line up hours before they open, take days, weeks or even months to complete.

But I've heard that efficiency has been improved at the immigration. But not many has done the renewing passport on the latest 'chip-based' passport. So I have no clue how long it's going to take, what is needed.

Fortunately, I have the chip-based passport, so renewing is a lot faster because they have the automated e-kiosk machine. You will only have to bring your MyKad, old passport, a passport sized photo, RM300, and that's it. No forms required. But note that it's only for 18 and above. The e-kiosk machine is relatively easy to use, and takes about 5 minutes per person. The queue is significantly shorter than the counters. But an officer is still required to verify your passport, your MyKad before you are allowed to go to the machine.

The new passport can be collected by the next working day, so you will have to make another trip there, might be inconvinient for the working person like me. But it took me about 1/2 hour for my turn. And I certainly didn't have to queue up like crazy hours before they open!

Overall, I don't have much complains about the services, it's definitely much better than the experience I had before. I hope this will help the Malaysians with the new 'chip-based' passport renewal. :mrgreen:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That's great! I hate dealing with government agencies. Always a hassle. :wall: :wall:

3. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Neat! ! Maybe the RM300 fee would push many away, though. Hmm.

4. Chai

Yeah, that's true, so make sure you make full use of the RM300. :mrgreen:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

You want to go where? :(

6. Chai

Went to Singapore already. :p

7. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

i dont think i can fully utilise my passport before it dies... only full of stamps for entering singapore.. but not anywhere far :(

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, the immigration has definitely improved... a new passport, application took just about 2 hours for me the last time.... not too bad if you ask me considering how much worse it used to be.

9. Miyuko

Miyuko Newbie

Went to the one in Butterworth and it only took me 45 minutes :D

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh, that's pretty fast. :thumb:

11. plasma

plasma Newbie

Same, went to the one in butterworth... huge place, not too many people on a weekday morning.
    Done and gone in 45 mins. Came back next day for passport.

12. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

its always better to go on a working day.

had the unfortunate experience of going in between public holidays and queued for half a day.