external hdd hates me

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, May 1, 2011.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

Got a old 2.5inch 40gb ide hdd with cheapo casing and another 160gb sata with a nice shiny vantec casing which belong to my sis, oddly today both does not work with my pc anymore.

Plug the usb cable and it keeps giving me "usb device not recognized" both hdd does the same thing! its incredible both work just yesterday and not today.

Fedup remove the 160gb from the case and directly plug into motherboard, works fine no issue put back into the case and it work on my sis laptop but still not on my pc. Got bored and didnt bother try anymore after 1 hour.

Back to my 40gb, try everything from remove the case but still doesnt work. Just as i wana give up it work by let it stand vertically :shock: if let i lye down flat it doesnt

This is the weirdest thing ever happen to me, im baffled how come it work standing but not when lying down :nuts:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Which port did you connect to, my guess is the front port and possible some other USB device is using it as well.

Try connecting to the motherboard or try with those usb cable which have 2 plugs.

3. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

tried all usb ports and using 2 usb plug as i always do and it still wont work..only now i get it to work..this for my sis 160gb unit after countless times pressing on/off switch on the case

i plug in the usb i can hear "nik nik" kinda sound..is like not enough power to power the hdd :think:

4. zy

Maybe something is giving up?

I know portable external hard disk uses close to 500mA which is the limit of USB current output.

On my desktop, I think I had to use the Y cable if attaching to the front USB ports.

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

ya..i think so maybe the case is goner but before that bring to test on other pc first

so frustrating sometimes, works y'day but not today :snooty:

6. zy

Rear usb ports also having the same problem?

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Most of the problems I encountered with USB drives were due to the connectors. The USB ports on my Dell monitors are now so loose that sometimes they don't connect when I plug in a USB drive. I have to jiggle them a little to get them to work.

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

zy,

rear usb too doesnt work :|

since the rear is not always get plug in and out it wont get loose :mrgreen:

either the hdd case or my pc acting up, will test at my cousin pc later today

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

works on my cousin pc, my sis and bro in law lappy but not my pc :|

any suggestion? reformat? or change pc? lol

10. zy

Sounds like motherboard isn't giving out enough "juice".

Check the voltages of the PSU?

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, it's starting to sound like a power issue.

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

how to check psu voltage and which voltage to check? :oops:

13. zy

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes the USB port is not able to provide enough power, I don't think you can do anything about it.

15. Adrian Wong

Most BIOS will show you the voltages.

16. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

bios got show voltage

which should i read? 5V?

yea..i think nth i can do though..give up already trying :wall: