Firearms

Discussion in 'PsYkHoTiK' started by PsYkHoTiK, Dec 31, 2015.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

My rifle is progressing well. I had to figure out some mount issues (loose screws) and am finally confident that it's ready to go.

So off to the 100 yard range I went.

Here's a 100 yard group (1 inch boxes):
    [​IMG]

SIG MCX shooting American Eagle 5.56 NATO M193 ball ammo.

Shot via a gripod and my elbows through a Trijicon MRO with no magnifier.

For perspective, here's the target I'm shooting at (you can probably JUST make out the paper around the red dot)... I'm thankful for my eyesight!
    [​IMG]

The rifle:
    [​IMG]

Pardon the non matching FDE gripod. :p

While the rifle is very accurate, it is very hard to do so without a magnified optic. Which is fine. I only see myself reaching out to perhaps 150-200 yards maximum so I'm not intending it to be a precision shooter (if I did, it would be wearing glass with magnification). This is perfect for the setup I want.

Sent from my Fruit Phone using Tapatalk

Chai likes this.
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Shooting steel targets from a little more than 100 yards (I think it was 103 yards/94 meters) out in the wilderness in 4K :)

SIG MCX:

FN SCAR17S:

I'm shooting a 10 inch (25 cm) steel plate that's at the tip of the arrow on the attached picture. :)

It was a lot easier with the SCAR since I have a magnified optic on it (obviously). But I could hit it with the MCX with it's unmagnified red dot (size of dot is 2 Minutes of Angle - or ~2 inches @ 100 yards).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Last time I was at the range, my good buddy suggested that I practice shouldering the rifle or bringing up the pistol to my eyes from a low ready everytime I shoot.

That way, I can develop muscle memory and improve target acquisition. Also helps practice from a draw.

He also gave me some pointers to think about about both my pistol and rifle hold.

So, I did just that.
    [​IMG]

Got a few fliers in the beginning, but really solidified as I went through my 30rd magazine. Target was at 25 yards and my rifle has a 100 yards zero (so it should hit 1.5-2 inches low at 25 yards). And I got a good group where the holes were connecting.

Very confidence inspiring to know I can hit the center mass of a target at 25 yards very quickly through my unmagnified red dot.

He also stressed that I should break up from shooting in a static manner (it's great for working on fundamentals and accuracy, but he said that in real world application, it's always dynamic and never ideal). He also suggested that I start incorporating things like kneeling and leaning (like shooting from corners) - which I actually shoot from the kneeling position quite a bit (since I need it for hunting).

It's very cool to get shooting pointers from a 20 year retired US Army Special Forces guy (who's also one of the nicest folks I know).

Also, to break things up, I tried the 'Mozambique Drill' for the first time (from 10 yards).
    [​IMG]

6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

What about shooting while diving sideways? :mrgreen:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Like this?

I admittedly focus on accuracy and speed that doesn't compromise shot placement. So I've never shot doofus style. Haha!

8. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

No, I was thinking more like this! :beer: :cool: :haha:

Attached Files:

PsYkHoTiK likes this.
  9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha! I'm not nearly as cool as Chow Yun Fat

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member