Firefox 5

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chai, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow, this is incredibly fast. A new Firefox already. I doubt there's much new feature in it.

Anyone tested it yet?

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I just installed it. It is really fast! Me likes... :mrgreen:

Doesn't seem to be much/any change on the actual interface.

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I just got it. But the first thing I noticed is that AVG safe search does not work anymore.:doh:

4. Chai

Seems like it is really quite fast.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... they will come out with an update soon. It happened when FF4 was released too. :D

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ok... the App Tab and Tab Groups are cool! Just what I need with 40+ opened tabs. :thumb:

Just wondering... which session restore are you guys using? FF's built-in or Tab Mix Plus? Which one is more reliable?

I've been using Tab Mix Plus's all this while, so just wondering whether I should switch to the built-in one. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Same here! :doh:

8. Adrian Wong

Haven't tried FF's tabs yet. I just switched from Chrome to IE9 when I found out that IE9 supports session restore...

9. Chai

Yeah, but it is not as good, since you have to trigger it manually.

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, unfortunately. But at least IE9 isn't as buggy as Chrome.

That said, I seem to have a problem with the Quick Reply on the forum after switching to IE9. It just brings me to the Full Reply page. :think:

11. Chai

I have to use the compatibility mode to resolve the issue.

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

what problem do you have with chrome? please share.

also, is it possible to have multi tab row on IE9?

13. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

My FF 4 tends to crash more often than my Chrome, but when my Chrome crashes, it really crashes, my PC totally freezes and have to be rebooted.

So far i have not crashed FF 5.

14. Chai

How do I get multi row in any browser? Didn't know it is possible.

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Huh? Firefox has Tab Mix Plus. Eh... :think: Trick question right? :think:

And TMP is the only reason I've stuck with FF for so long... :doh:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

same here. tmp is the only reason why i stick with ff since version 2.

I would really love to try IE9 though, but I can't live wihtout multirow tab bar because my tab count usually hits 40-50. MS has done a much better job in getting the hardware acceleration to work.

17. Chai

The only plugin that I use in Firefox is DownThemAll. I'm happy with the normal tab browsing included with most browsers. I thought multirow is included in the stock browser.

I think IE is not so great if you like to use a lot of tabs.

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... no browser is great without the multirow tabs.

There are many multirow users... And we've been shouting out loud too... I'm a tab hog and would like my tabs to show in multiple rows. Can I do that? - Google Chrome Help but no one's listening... :faint:

19. Adrian Wong

Ah, so I'm not the only one.

20. Adrian Wong

Well, first of all, Flash Player doesn't work properly. I can't get videos on Youtube and CNN, etc. to work properly.

Also, I noticed that FB scripts don't seem to work properly. I couldn't actually post links or photos or anything other than text.

It also used a LOT of memory. Of course, I have over 30 tabs opened. LOL! Anyway, IE9 also has this problem. Over time, IE9 uses about 2.8 GB of memory after a day or two.

But the marching orders for Chrome came when I noticed my notebook was super sluggish. On closer inspection, I saw that the HDD LED activity light was lit non-stop. I checked the Resource Monitor and found that Chrome was writing to the History non-stop.