firewall

Discussion in 'General Software' started by redsierra, Jan 29, 2011.

1. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

hi,
    My problem started after updating my anti-virus from 2010 to the latest 2011.
    For some reason everytime I start my PC a dialog box pops up stating 'You are not protected. No Firewall.' This stays on for 15 seconds after which every thing is back to normal.
    I always check my security set ups after this and always find that the firewall is ON.
    Any idea what is causing this to happen?
    Thanks in advance.
    redsierra

2. JTech

JTech Newbie

It may be that when Windows checks to see if a firewall is running your program hasn't fully started so Windows reports that nothing is running. Once it does start, everything is fine.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Some anti virus is configured to launch after x seconds of startup to avoid conflicting with other startup programs.

4. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Which antivirus + operating system are you talking about?

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well I know for one, Avast has this feature, OS should be Win 7/Vista

6. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Sorry, I was asking JTech to provide info about OS and antivirus is using...

7. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

Re-Firewall

My anti virus is AVG 2011 and the operating system is XP home edition.
    Thanks guys for any help.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I can't be sure, because I don't use AVG 2011, but I think AVG 2011 may have disabled the Windows Firewall because AVG 2011 probably has its own Firewall.

I would recommend you check if AVG 2011's firewall is enabled. If it is, then there's nothing to worry about. Otherwise, go to Control Panel -> Security Center and re-enable Firewall.

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

This brings to mind a question? I'm running AVG2011 free. Anyone else here running it?

The question is it does 'full' system scan in two or three minutes!:o How the hell is that possible?:think: It allways took 15-20 minutes for their last version. Sometimes I wonder if it is really doing anything at all.:think:

10. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Depends on what is scanning. If you do a full scan it may take more than 10-15 minutes, depends also on the number of files/size of the scanned disk.
    For example: a full scan only on .exe files it is much faster than a - all files scan.
    Check the log of that 2-3 minutes and see what was scanned.
    Use another antivirus to compare the results. Avira is a good solution and it's free - for non-commercial use.

11. k44k

k44k Newbie

Try repair AVG installation or reinstall AVG to see if the problem still persists.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Go to Tools > Advance Settings > Scans > Whole Computer scan

By default, it doesn't do all files scanning, just those files that are infectable and doesn't scan archives too.

13. Adrian Wong

I think it just does a full system memory scan. That's pretty fast. There's no way it can do a full disk scan in that short of a time.

14. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Actually, Microsoft's own Security Essentials utility is pretty good. I use that now vs Avira and AVG on my Windows machine.

15. Adrian Wong

I'm also using it now. But I wonder how good it is, compared to AVG or Kaspersky, for example.