Geforce 6150 + Windows 7 Aero Glass

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by zy, Oct 28, 2010.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:rolleyes:

They don't like each other much eh.
    I upgraded my friend's XP to 7.

Aero works fine, but whenever UAC dims the background screen, it "shutters"/"goes blank" and there is a few seconds delay before the UAC pops up.

Same goes to logging on and off. Logging on, there's a blank screen for like 5-10 seconds compared to like 1 second.

Looks like I have to use Aero Basic on this chip :doh:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What version of Windows 7 are you using? Could be a driver issue but I'm sure you are already using the latest Windows 7 driver.

3. zy

7 Ultimate.

Tried the original driver that came with Windows 7 as well as the latest driver via Windows Update.

I guess this "GPU" is pretty weak.

or maybe its a hard disk problem. Because I know the Windows XP MBR got curropted due to bad sector :shhh:

Should I tell my friend to "upgrade" the hard disk? :think:

Laptop warranty just expired last month :faint:

I wonder how healthy is the hard disk. Any programs to check how healthy it is? I check using Crystal DiscInfo and it says "warning". Just like my retired 5-6 year old WD 250gb drive.

4. Adrian Wong

Aihhhh.. If not, you can get the HDD replaced for free. :wall:

Well, no harm asking though, cause some will still cover the notebook if the warranty just lapsed a week or two (e.g. Dell).

You can either take it out and attach it to a desktop and run Scandisk... or you can boot up using the Windows 7 installation disk and run chkdsk from it.

5. zy

Windows 7 got rid of scandisk right? I believe Microsoft uses chkdsk now. I wonder what commands should I run on chkdsk. :think: Before I formatted it, It did detect some error. Now I have formatted it, there's no error.

Does the format on the windows 7 cd reallocated bad sectors? :think:

6. Adrian Wong

No la.. It's always there, albeit it's called Error-checking now. Just right click on the drive in Windows Explorer, select Properties and go to Tools. You will see the Error-checking option there.

If you are using a command prompt, use chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors and correct them.

If you are doing a normal format, yes, it will reallocate bad sectors. But if you run a quick format, then it skips that step and your bad sectors will not be identified or replaced.