Geforce GTS450

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by The_YongGrand, Jul 24, 2012.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hello there,

I need a suitable, cooler replacement for the aging Radeon 4850, plus a need for CUDA programming later. Is the GTS450 (1GB DDR3) a better replacement? Would it also play the latest Max Payne 3 I'm having now with high details? :whistle:

2. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

why not try find a used gtx460, should be cheap now

plays max payne 3 all high (1680X1050) with gtx460 on my rig :p

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, GTX460 is a much better card. And 4850 should not really that much slower GTS450, unless CUDA is a requirement.

4. The_YongGrand

Thanks for the suggestion. At least I know how far that card goes.

Thanks for the suggestion too - I may need CUDA, but not now.

Should the processor be also changed for a better play experience in Max Payne 3? Most of them recommended a 4-core, but there's no more 4-cores for the 775. :)

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Max Payne 3 may be optimized for multi-core processors but I don't think you actually "need" a quad-core processor. The graphics card is always more important when it comes to 3D FPS games.

6. The_YongGrand

Hmm, I see. If I get another job soon, will consider getting a higher end Geforce. But with all these different model numbers, I'm not sure what to get for myself. There are the 6xx series now too. :whistle:

7. Adrian Wong

The GeForce 6xx series is definitely superior to the 5xx series, but watch out for some of them - NVIDIA has a bad habit of recycling older GPUs into their newer series.

8. The_YongGrand

I'm trying to get a second hand GTX460 there if I can't find a cheap suitable one. I'm not sure why they phase out the new ones though. :)

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is only applicable to the high end series. Anything below the 660 series are probably rebranded.

10. Adrian Wong

Yup! So far, only the GeForce GTX 6xx cards are confirmed using the newer GK GPUs :
    - GeForce GTX 690
    - GeForce GTX 680
    - GeForce GTX 670

The following cards may or may NOT use the GK GPUs :
    - GeForce GT 640
    - GeForce GT 630

The following cards are confirmed NOT to use the newer GK GPUs :
    - GeForce GT 645
    - GeForce GT 620
    - GeForce 610
    - GeForce 605

Shameless plug - I based them on our own Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide.

11. The_YongGrand

Thanks man, I just got a used Gtx460 for a low price. I hope it works nice. Now downloading the drivers. :)