GeForce GTX 550 Ti vs GTX 460

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by ariyamusafir, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Once I did a survey before purchasing my current VGA, I found that the Gigabyte GeForce 550 Ti was actually much cheaper than the MSI Cyclone GTX 460.

Question is why? Theoretically, the 550 Ti should be much better than the 460 right?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No, the GeForce GTX 460 is faster than the GeForce GTX 550 Ti. You can compare their specs @ Tech ARP - Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 23.2

3. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

SHIT.... yet I thought 550 Ti is much better.... I should have got the MSI Cyclone type... Damn....

But I thought the higher number in the series represents a higher end version of it?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Higher first number present the generation. Higher second number represent the 'class'. It is not necessary that the new generation is faster than the previous.

5. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Ah I see.. but newer generation meaning newer technology?

6. Adrian Wong

Not necessarily so. Both AMD and NVIDIA are guilty of rebranding their older GPUs as a new class of GPUs.

NVIDIA, for example, rebranded their GeForce 9800 series of GPUs as the GeForce GTX 200 series. Even the GeForce GTX 330 used a GeForce 9800 series GPU.

So, it is always a good idea to check the specs before you buy. You can compare at Wikipedia, or the many, many reviews online... or you can compare the specs using our comparison guide @ Tech ARP - Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 23.2

7. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Went throught your list. Your list is really really very big...... but just a quick confirmation, the GTX 550 Ti.. new one, right???

8. Adrian Wong

You don't have to read through the whole list. Just compare the GeForce GTX 460 with the GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

Yes, the GeForce GTX 550 Ti is the new one.