HARD CRASH!! need Hardware Sherlock Holmes to help me solve.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by frozenfire, Jul 20, 2012.

1. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

Hi i'm wondering if anybody knows how to solve this. This problem has been persisting for a long time and I'm about to run out of wits.

My pc is currently hard crashing during selected games. 5minutes into the game, the pc will go into a full lock, sound will freeze, mouse movement will survive for about 5 second before completely becoming unresponsive. Then nothing else works. When reboots, there will be this message.

113-B33904-102 113-B33904-102 RV670 GDDR4_16Mx32 256b

on the black screen. Nothing, no bios, nothing, just this message behind a black DOS screen. After rebooting again, it works. After googling , I figured that was the hardware id of my graphic card Sapphire ATI HD3870

So here's the details so far:

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
    System Model: MS-7376 ( MSI K9A2 Platinum )
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9501)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9501&SUBSYS_25421002&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2297 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 505 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: VX2433wm
    Monitor Id: VSC3822
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI

*lemme know if full dxdiag details is needed.

1) some games don't crash : Company of Heroes, C&C Generals, Starcraft2 is all fine. GTA4, Blacklight Retribution and a bunch of other FPS games will crash. Flash game and other normal activity will never crash.

2) Voltage(4.92 for 5v and 11.792 for 12v ) . As for temperature ( capping at 90+ ) seems to be no distinction between those crashing and non-crashing game. Some people in the forum seems to suggest it will crash at 90. Some say ATI cards could exceed 100. But since it works the same heat on those non crashing game. It shouldn't be the issue.

3) Memtest seems to show no issue with RAM.

4) Catalyst is version 12.6 ( latest now ). BIOS has been flashed to latest.

Any clue else should I try? There is no crash report because it's a direct hard lock.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This must be you, Jeremy?? :D

As I was saying on Facebook, it is unlikely to be the PSU voltage. In fact, from your description, it sounds like a graphics card problem.

Can you peek at the graphics card and see if the fan's running right? Also, when it's powered off, check and see if the fan and heatsink are clean or choked with dust? Your graphics card may be overheating.

Otherwise, I would think there's a problem with one of the graphics memory chips. If this is the problem, then this is not something you can solve by yourself.... :(

3. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

indeed it is.. haha.

I'm quite doubtful it is temperature because those non crashing games and crashing games got the same temperature. Capping at 91-92. And the non-crashing game has never shown similar symptom.

I just got myself an alternate GPU to test it out. I really hope it is not a hardware failure.

I'll update it here.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Don't discount overheating. Try using a big 12cm fan and blow directly onto the card, see if that helps.

5. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Indeed, sounds like heat issue. I had an older ATI agp card that had similar behavior, but before it crashed it would display weird gfx artifacts. Turned out the heat sink was not seated completely, not loose, but not flush against the die.

6. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

Tried the fan, hardly reduce it by 5c. I really don't want to discount overheating but i think it is highly unlikely. It has crashed even at 67 degrees. While playing a non crashing game , it can go up to 80-90 steadily for hours.

For the last few hours , I've been running GPU-z while playing game in windowed mode and take pictures of the monitor before crashing. Here's 2 of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see nothing is weird above. I compare to the stats of running a non-crashing game. Nothing.

AAAND I've just discovered something even wierder and totally totally unexpected not in my wildest imagination. Here's the thing, I correlated all the game and gamemodes that crash and I figured out that ONLY when playing multiplayer, the game will crash. Now this is totally weird but I'm pretty sure this is now the case because I've been playing GTA4 for the last 30 minutes without crashing. And the moment I get my gf to join in the game in multiplayer, 2 minutes, crash. Just like that. Rebooted, tried again. Same. And It just dawn upon me that all the games that don't crashes are all singleplayer games.

Any idea what could I try to solve this?

7. Chai

Well, it is most likely graphics card related. It's either drivers, or graphics card is dying.

Try swapping another ATI card to see if it is driver issue.

8. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

I just got an NVIdia card last night. I'm going to swap if I can't solve this in a few hours time.

9. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

Swapped a GT240 into it.

Played GTA4 on LAN for almost an hour. no crash. Suddenly BSOD "Stop 0x00000101 A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

After a reboot. the GT240 went into the exact same issue as my old ATI card. No multiplayer game will survive 5 minutes; singleplayer game continues to work flawlessly. Note that this is not random or intermitten. Previously on ATI Card all multiplayer game will not survive more than few minutes. MAXIMUM 10 minutes.

I'm now clueless on even what to google.

Any clue/Ideas?

10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

I would try a reformat

11. Chai

What PSU are you using?

12. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

Took out graphic card, and most of the MB's connection . Replug.
    swapped PCI - express. still crash.

reformatting or plugging in a fresh OS would be the next.

13. Adrian Wong

I'm beginning to think it's a motherboard problem... :(

Unfortunately, it's much harder to troubleshoot a motherboard, since it would be very hard for you to find a different motherboard to swap.

14. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

LAN controller? Driver .... maybe?.......:pray:

15. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Can a faulty LAN controller cause these crashes? :think:

Well, stranger things have happened. LOL!

Jeremy, if you can get hold of a USB WiFi dongle, maybe you can disconnect your LAN and use that and see if that stops the lock-ups.

16. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

I dont know how or why.

One of my friend tell me i should try cleaning the parts individually and remove all trace of dust. I seriously don't see how dust can affect chips other than the heat itself, since heat does not seem like a factor where only multiplayer game will crash. Well , once I cleaned out the inch-thick dust, and reapplied thermal paste, everything was fine for the past 3 days.

Thanks everybody. I Guess not discounting heat would still prove helpful. However, I would still say it's still a mystery.