HDR: Julia Child's Kitchen @ Smithsonian

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zy, Apr 29, 2010.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

HDR: Julia Child's Kitchen @ Smithsonian
    [​IMG]

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Man I still need to buy her cook book (the lady that popularized french cooking in the US!)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay... That's a LOT of pans! Does she really need that many pans?

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Different pans to suit different style of cookings! :D

5. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

You can actually find many of her recipies offered by the publisher (forgot name) in PDF format... We made her famous "Chicken Supremes in Onions & Cream sauce not too long ago... :dinner:

6. ja37

ja37 Newbie

Lots of different wines too...

I grew up with her around a lot. My grandmother and her both graduated from Roosevelt High School in Seattle in 1929, My Great uncle was who made her famous, and YES, she used a lot of pans, and notice the sizes, mostly small ones, each item she precooked in smaller pans, and then she would put them all together at the right time.

You've got to use this type of pan, or that type, you must have the right type of knife, and it must be kept very sharp, you need a real good mixer with lots of bowles, she was always describing everything, talked endlessly, no meal went without a full novel explanation of what, why, how, and when, and no meal was complete without a few trips into the kitchen for 2nd and 3rd courses and desert, nothing made in advance, it was always made and imediatly eaten. And if she was only able to stop by and say hi, she still had to take 15 minutes or so to whip up some treat, she never stopped in without some food and wine. She made lots of recipies she said were inspired by what my grandmother liked and what I liked, she could blend a lot of things into a meal and not lose any of the smells or flavors.

She was a lot of fun to be around, her and I joked alot as I grew up, and the kitchen in this picture, well it is arranged somewhat as I remember her kitchen but it just doesn't look very accurate as I remember it, though it may have changed as she aged. If I walked in a kitchen looking like that, I would immediatly think of her, and there are a few I have come across that do remind me.

When she came through town she was always with us, and we were all in the kitchen, or rushing to the store for some special foods to make us something she learned about in Europe on her recent trips around where ever, and she traveled a lot, I think all the money she earned, and all my uncles promotions of her took to nearly every country.

And finaly, her REAL name was Martha Wilson... My Great Great Uncle was Jack Warner, his only sister was my great grandmother, her youngest daughter, my grandmother was aslo named Martha, her only son, my dad was Wayne Newton's drummer and manager. My uncle was a fan of SAAB, he had an airplane named after me (a long story involved in this fact also), invested in it's development, and put his ideas into it, the SAAB JA37.

I have one of the 1929 Roosevelt High flags her and my grandmother helped make for the big home coming football game, those little triagular flags they would wave at the football games for their team in those days, this flag is yellow on green felt with green writting.

This is just a bit of inside info, not very well known, I like to pass it on, when I get a chance to.

And one last thing, the only reason she changed her name, was when she did go on stage and radio the first time, it was the thing to do, everyone had to have what they called a "stage name", something catchy, but she did prefere her real name...

Enjoy...

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm confused, are you talking abour your grand mother or julia childs ? :confused:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

He's talking about Julia Child and that his grandmother was her friend.