Headphones Recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jeremy, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Hi! I'm currently looking for a decent pair of headphones but I do not where to start looking since I'm not an audiophilist so I was hoping that some of you can shed some light on this issue. Thanks

=)

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

What's your budget like, and what do you plan to use it for?

For my PC, I'm using the Sony MDR-CD580 (about RM288) and it sounds great. It's a full-size monitor, and is quite comfortable even after hours of listening/gaming.

For portable audio, I use earbud style headphones. I have the Sony MDR-E888SP (not sure if you can find them here, they're about USD80) and Sony MDR-E848LP (RM100++). I hear that the Sennheiser MX-500 are also great-sounding earbuds.

:)atwl

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

ATW: Thanks for your prompt reply and to answer your questions, my budget is within RM$300/USD$70 but I'm sourcing for enclosed type headphones because of the Passive Noise Cancellation features. I have my eyes currently on the Senheisser HD490 but I'm still open to suggestion.

HD 490-V1

Is it possible that you provide me with a link to Sony's Headphones department cause I can't seem to find it. Thanks! ;)

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

www.sonystyle.com.my is our local Sony online store but they don't have much in the way of specifications.

www.sonystyle.com, the US site, is more comprehensive while looking for specs.

Sony MDR-CD580

Anyway, one important point to note when shopping for high end headphones is their Impedence rating. A lot of studio-use headphones are rated around 50 Ohms and above, which may be too high for most sound cards, walkman, boomboxes, etc. to drive properly.

The headphones that we are used to are usually rated at 40 Ohms and below, 16 or 32 Ohms being the most common.

BTW Your Sennheiser checks out fine.

Regards,
    :)atwl