Helpctr.exe Problem

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by alyy8128, Aug 29, 2009.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Hi all,

There is some problem on my sis's laptop. Once the computer been start-up, there will be non-stop pop-up of Windows' Help.

No matter which software I open, it will pop-up the software's help. :confused: Looks like somebody keep pressing the F1 key for me. Don't tell me it is seventh month of Lunar Calender.

I did search around Google, but can't find some good solution. Initially the problem are giving "Helpctr.exe" error, with code 0xc0000142. Then, I found a temporary solution, i.e. disable the Windows Help Center from "services.msc". However, the computer is found OK fro few times of normal start-up. The problem are coming back again.

Please help to solve if anyone having this type of problem, thank.

2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Which Windows version? Anyway type msconfig in Start -> Run and look in Startup tab then uncheck the box with HelpCtr.exe if there is any. Otherwise we shall try something else.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  3. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

It could also be a virus/trojan/spyware in your computer so you might wanna do a scan.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I experienced something similar. Everything I did something, something kept cancelling the action.

It turned out that I pushed the external keyboard so much that I wedged the Esc key under the notebook's edge (it was elevated). So, the keyboard was sending Esc commands non-stop. :wall: :wall:

It could be a keyboard problem like mine although I doubt you would not notice if the F1 key was accidentally depressed by something. It could be a problem within the keyboard itself - maybe dust or something else. If you have a spare keyboard, you can try swapping them to see if that solves the problem.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sounds stupid but possible! :haha:

I heard of stories of boobs pressing on the space bar unknowingly... :haha:

6. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

It is too bad that it is a laptop, is there any possible to disable the keyboard of a laptop? So i can attach i external keyboard.

It looks like the key is keep been pressed. Even it is in DOS mode. I had went to "cmd", then, it just automatic repeat what i type before. Feeling So creepy.

The laptop running WinXP SP2. Around 3 years old. Twinhead Durabook R15D.

7. Adrian Wong

Well, that's simple enough. Go to Device Manager and disable it! :thumb:

BTW, maybe you should try removing the keyboard and check the cable connector. Reseating the cable connector could solve the problem.

8. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

It is a laptop. Quite difficult to open up its casing. My brother-in-law open its cover once, but he said it is very difficult, you need to even taken out its LCD screen first.

Finally, he decided to take out the F1 button, and use a knife to cut its connector under it. Until now, it looks fine... Just we can't use the F1 button anymore. :beer:

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

lol. quick fix. hope you do not need to use the f1 key anymore :)
    durabook, looks like the f1 key isnt "durable" ;)

10. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Ya. Quite "Durable" enough to survive for 3++years. With changed motherboard once, and the power adapter caught Fire once(but after reconnect by shouldering back). Now it lost its "F1" key, but overall, it still can be use.

Maybe this thread should be moved to "Hardware" section instead of "Software" problem.

11. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! OMG.. That's hardly reliable! It's even flammable!! :lol:

Yeah, moving it to Mobile Devices since this is a notebook problem.