Hey all living in KL need help here...new PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by [H]ardwareNick, Dec 13, 2002.

1. guys as the topic says , im from east malaysia and i need a new system as im off to aus to study in jan . my mum will be hopping down to kl end of this month for something so might get her to pick up a few things..need some help from u guys .. if u could just help me with this list + prices + place or just give me some good links that would be most appreciated

list

Pentium 4 2.4B ghz C1 stepping

ABIT BE-7 / ASUS p4G8x / Epox 4PEA+

2 x 256MB Corsair DDR 433 / or any good DDR 400 ram for o/c

WD 80GB SE HDD

ATi Radeon 9500 PRO (when you have stock and how much is the est. price)

TDk 48/24/48 cdrw / or any other good brand

SB Audigy

thanks for the help
    Nick

2. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Wait a minute here..... we have a [H] guy here... Hmmm... but anyway, we will welcome everyone here, even the t[H]ick [H]eaded people from [H]. :lol:

Firstly, you are going abroad to study in Jan and you are going to Australia am I correct? Well, if that is the case, then why on earth are you getting a PC?

What I would definitely recommend for students going aboard are laptops! Why? Because student life is rather hectic and you must do presentations and write papers on the go. A good laptop is invaluable.

So, do weigh your options first before making the plunge into a PC ok.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think it's impossible to get some of the stuffs mentioned above.

4. i do need the PC...im only 15 man...im not into UNI yet so dont think ill be doing many presentations and all....

as for the parts .... so hard meh ?

can you guys at leasy give me some links to some kl vendors or anything like that ?

thanks
    Nick

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Pentium 4 2.4B ghz - should be available, C1 stepping ... hard to say

ABIT BE-7 / ASUS p4G8x / Epox 4PEA+ - no more epox in KL (no distributor) Be7 not yet here, best bet is the IT7-Max2, Asus... dun think so too.

2 x 256MB Corsair DDR 433 - forget it... impossible to find
    nearest bet, Mushkin...other's apacer, kingston,

WD 80GB SE HDD - shouldn't be a problem...

ATi Radeon 9500 PRO (when you have stock and how much is the est. price) - no stock in Low Yat, maybe can find without Pro even if got, est price is &gt; RM1500

TDk 48/24/48 cdrw , SB Audigy - easy to get...

6. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

7. thanks for the help guys....

the corsair ram...there's this shop i somehow found online called RobynCOM or something in Imbi....

they do sell the corsair xms 3200 (ddr 400) oh well....=)

no epox in kl ?? what happened ?? i got my 8KTA3Pro early this year leh....

if any of you go to imbi or low yat or anything PLZZZZZZ get me some prices from the shops...*me is pulling hair out comparing kuching vs kl vs melbourne*

thanks again
    Nick

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello [H]ardwareNick,

I'm staying over in Melaka so I'm pretty ignorant about prices at Low Yat Plaza. Chai and Peaz are the regulars there... Kinda like their second home. Hehe... Right or not, guys? ;)

I'll ask them to get you a price quote if they can. Again, this is Malaysia. Sadly, we are still behind other countries when it comes to hardware. It won't be easy to find some top-of-the-line hardware.

But are things here in Malaysia really that much cheaper than in Australia? Are you sure that it's in your best interest to get hardware from Malaysia?

The last time I travelled overseas as a student, I remember the airlines being rather strict on the baggage. You may not want to burden yourself with so many hardware when you go Down Under. The baggage allocation can be better used for your other essentials like foodstuff or CDs. Don't forget, there are some Malaysian foodstuff you can never get in Australia or have to pay for with your right hand. And I doubt you can get... ah hem... "cheap" CDs over there.

In my case, I HAD to bring hardware from Malaysia because I was going to a place where, well, computer hardware is either VERY expensive or impossible to get (India). You, on the other hand, will be going to Australia in January. I think you will find a wider range of hardware there than you would here.

You never mention how long you will be gone for your studies but I'm pretty sure it won't be for just a couple of months, right? So, warranty is going to be important to you. If buying from Low Yat saves you a hundred or two bucks, I say skip Low Yat and get from Australia. If anything goes boom, at least you can easily send it back for a replacement there. If you get your hardware here, you can kiss your warranty goodbye. It may be valid but it's pointless with you over in Australia.

So, I suggest you rethink your decision to ask your mother to buy hardware for you before you leave for Australia. In my opinion, it's too much of a rush job. Also, it would not be in your best interest.

Hope that helps you some! :)

9. peaz

Hmmm come to think about it. What adrian has to say is quite true. If you'll be in Aust for quite some time, better get the hardwares there if they are almost the same price or only a little more expensive.

Plus i believe they have better choice there too!!! However, I know that certain items are not that cheap over there. Once, my friend told me that Lite-On cdrw were selling almost Rm100 more than the price we get over here! But then again, I'm not sure if this is valid anymore.

Tommorow I'll be going to Low Yat. So, I'll check out the price for you and list them down here.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most of the items listed above are not even out yet, like the Asus Granite Bay board. New processor stepping usually arrives in M'sia extremely slow/late.

The Epox distributor doesn't want to bring in any more Epox products. Earlier this year, yes, but now, not even a 'shadow'.

11. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

WOW... you are only 15 and you are going aboard already? Just too young. I was at the ripe age of 20 when I first got to the States! And I was still too young. Well here is hoping that you will cope well over there!

Regarding the hardware again, I have to agree with Adrian. How about this, go ahead to Aussie first and then buy everything there. It would be even better because the conversion rate will be towards your favor if you are earning Aussie dollars and you get better products.

But the decision is yours to make. Go ahead and see the world. Good luck !

12. thanks again guys....

yeah i have been thinking about what adrian said as well....but we're looking at say...RM400 / 500 ++ for close to NOTHING !!! (thats my 256mb corsair xms out the window ;) )

btw about the studying thing ... yeah ill be there till i finish uni... actually i did primary 1-4 there b4 coming back here to pick up some MELAYU ... sheesh i hate that stuff (sorry for the semi-racist comment =) ) earning in AUD ? im 15 !!! cmon !!! i cant work till im 18 ehehehhehehe....

to chai and peeaz who go to low yat / imbi , if maybe i need some help like i were to ask you to buy something...then..my mum will be in KL on the 27th at some hotel..maybe i get her room no and you drop the item for me and she'll pay you ? any of you willing to help ? dont have to as i dont want to *mar-huan* you but if you could...it would be most appreciated...

thanks
    Nick

13. 0o0ops...
    i was in the sharky + anand forums.....

looks like another good config is

Xp2400
    ABIT IT7 Max2 v2

and stuff the audigy and go with the onboard 5.1...saves US80 according to the guy...

whaddya guys think ? that xp 2400 is core 2ghz....most ppl can o/c (prolly like 2300 to 2400 mhz mind you xp 2800 is only 2.25 ) that guy to run sync with Corsair XMS at 200 fsb for an effective DDR400 solution....

SOUNDS TEMPTING LAR !!!!
    whaddyall think ?

Nick

14. ARARGHG sorry ..tyyypoooo

i meant ASUS A7n8X =)

15. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Hey, if you are in the States, I am sure that you can get all those good stuff, but I am not too sure if the stuff you are looking for are out in Malaysia yet.

Well according to Chai, many of the new stuff is not out in Malaysia. So you better check it out before you make any configurations.

Actually, if you really want the stuff real bad, I can get it for you and ship it back by FedEX. It will be pretty expensive, I am sure but you will get the latest and greatest stuff around!

16. peaz

ABIT BE7 here already
    w/o RAID = RM390
    w RAID = RM460

ABIT AT7 MAX2 = RM680
    AT7E = RM495

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro - RM800-1000 range i think, no stock yet

WD 80GB 8mb buffer - RM405
    TDK CDRW - ~RM250... maybe less

SB Audigy DE - 245
    SB Audidy 2 Standard - RM450
    Hercules Fortissimo III - RM280

17. thanks alot peaz..
    hey guys...i think i may buy a thing or 2 from kl...

my mother will be going there for some course dec 27th to 30th...

she'll be staying in the Grand Continental...

can any1 maybe help me if i asked them to buy a few things and pass it onto my mum (ill provide further info if you can) ???

thanks
    Nick

18. peaz

"also whaddya think ? in aus, every part is like +RM 100...so im also thinking to buy things like cpu/mobo/ram there (as they are critical n can get hurt from OC) for sure i think ill get the wd 80gb 8mb hdd as i need to bring some data over...and also looks like ill get the Radeon 9500 Pro....if not in time then...the Albatron Ti4200 Pro (the one which can o/c past a Ti 4600)..it costs RM700 from robyncom (the only kl shop i have prices from) "

While it might be Rm100 more, at least it's easier for you to RMA from them. furthermore, there's lot more choice there in AUS i think. So i guess it's better for you to get the normal stuffs like hard disk, cdrw, etc from here.

19. will try to get the hdd + tdk burner from kl then...now i just need someone to help me buy n pass to my mum ... anyone ? dont feel obliged to but if you could help it would be most welcome....

thanks
    Nick

20. peaz

I'll have to see if i'm free then. My schedules pretty tight sometimes. Let's see how...

Also, I dun have enuf cash to get the stuffs from you 1st,,,

Well, let's see if there's anyone else that could help you better. I would like to but i just not capable for now :)