How do I move all, except system files, to a new Drive?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by JamieD, Feb 10, 2017.

1. JamieD

JamieD Newbie

For the past year i've had only 1 Hard Drive, A Western Digital 7200RPM 320GB HDD. Today, I decided to upgrade my storage. I just got in the mail and installed in my PC a Western Digital 5400RPM 1TB HDD(I dont mind waiting a little extra time for things so i just paid a bit less for 5400RPM). I had about 30GB remaining on my 320GB drive. I have Windows 10 and I can't seem to find exactly the help i'm looking for.

What I want:
    I want to move everything to my 1TB HDD except System files such as the OS and Boot stuff etc. to have those be a little faster since its on a 7200RPM drive.
    I want all my Windows apps, Steam games, and future downloads on the 1TB drive.
    I also want both hard drives to look neat otherwise it throws off my OCD.

What I tried:
    I tried moving my "Steam Stuff" folder to the new drive but it was copying (i want to MOVE)
    I went to the Apps & Features Tab in the settings and it won't let me move separate games and apps.
    I'm also currently trying to download things on the new drive but I can't seem to get it to because the file for the game is just going in the file thats in my (C:) drive.

I do not want to have to download any extra software, but I will be willing to reinstall things but I wouldn't have a clue what files I would have to uninstall on my (C:) drive then.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think that's possible, as installed apps and games are part of the OS. Even if you are able to copy the files over, you will still need to reinstall them as it is missing registry entries or certain system files.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

For the Downloads folder (and this also applies to the other User-specific Windows Library folders like Documents, Music, Videos, etc) -- you have to navigate to that folder and right-click on it. In Properties, go to the Location tab and you can relocate the folder elsewhere.

For moving Steam, here are several ways: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-1714706774

Don't forget to scroll down where a user also mentions a way to move the entire Steam install:

Other stuff... especially installed apps, well generally no unless you're willing to mess around with locating and changing all relevant paths in the Windows Registry (which can be case-by-case basis for different apps), it's much better to just uninstall and reinstall at a new location.