How Often do you Defrag your Hard disk?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zy, Jun 5, 2005.

?

How Often Do You Defrag?

1. Everyday!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Everyweek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Every FortNight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Every Month & More

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Whats Defrag ?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

onclejean, better take it easy on the defrag routine... :haha:

2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think I havent defrag my hard disk for a very long time already :think: :lol:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Wow... I actually voted never. :think: I really forgot when was the last time already. Seems like ages ago. :doh:

4. ESP

ESP Newbie

Do you notice any slowdown? :D

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... not really. My Wolfenstein:ET still startup pretty quick. :thumb:

Everything's still pretty normal. Lazy to defrag le... :mrgreen:

6. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Once after I've finished loading up all apps I'm in need of.
    NTFS and W2003 are doin' well in keeping things clean and smooth. ;)

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Oh, I think I should defrag every month. Is there a huge performance difference doing defragging frequently? :D :wave:

8. 1978sdp

1978sdp Newbie

I've set one of the automatic tools on the job, seems to be doing just fine, my system is faster and best part is the actual defrag is much faster than the built in and i dont have to worry about how often to defrag.
    I think systems with NTFS also warrant regular defrag what with file sizes growing soo huge day by day, they do tend to get fragmented and stored non contiguously.

2 people like this.
  9. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

Very true... :think:

Welcome to the forums, 1978sdp! :wave: :thumb:

10. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Imo still depending on how you did set up your system.
    If you've placed all apps on the sys-part in combination with a "heavy installer" (regulary install, reinstall or removing anything) even NTFS can't prevent it from being fragmented.
    There are still enough people out there in use of one single partition containing the OS, all apps, movies, music, games and so on ... a thing someone really shouldn't do. ^^

PS: 1978sdp -> Welcome to the ARP. ;)

11. mckenz1234

mckenz1234 Newbie

I have started defragmenting more often now (third party tool ofcourse) and now experience lesser issues on the workstations performance. Interesting to see others views here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005
  12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

hi there mckenz1234... welcome to ARP! :D

Well, for me, it's scheduled to run once a week at 3am on Wed... so.. my hard disk is always defraged!

13. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Once a week? Wow... :D

I never defrag :lol:

14. peaz

frequent defragging keeps it defragged so that you dun need to let it defrag for hours on a highly fragmented hard disk.. it so simple to schedule, no efforts required to even monitor it.. so why not?

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i woner what time should i set mine to defrag :haha:

16. I defrag my hard drive about every couple of months when it slows down or I think about it.

17. peaz

Welcome to ARP, led-replacement!!! :D

Once or twice is a couple of months is fine :D as long as you run it regularly to keep it unfragmented :)

18. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Still depending on the app you're using I think.
    With these fancy "optimize by most used files"-apps you'd have to defrag every 10 mins. :roll: :mrgreen: ^^
    Crap, if you'd ask me ( like Norton SpeedDisk .. again Symantec, I really hate them :haha: ).

19. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

using a 300gb WD sata hdd and so far have yet to defrag it. Cause when i analysis it everytime, windows told me that i do not need to defrag this drive, the funny thing is that the drive is almost full :whistle:

20. peaz

Yup. imho, even Windows defragger is better than Norton's speeddisk. which is why MS dumped Norton for Diskkeeper to run their windows defragger :)

try using diskkeeper or perfectdisk instead. much better alternatives.