How Often do you Defrag your Hard disk?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zy, Jun 5, 2005.

?

How Often Do You Defrag?

1. Everyday!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Everyweek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Every FortNight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Every Month & More

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Whats Defrag ?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jet

Jet Just Started

I defrag my HHD almost once in 3 days. :D

2. Johnie

Johnie Newbie

Hahahahaha...every 3 days? hahahahahaha :wicked: :haha: :twisted:

Either you have some VERY SMALL capacity HDD (or maybe you were talking about USB flash drive defrag)? :wicked: :p :haha: orrr...you just love to spend 3+ hours every 3rd day for all this... :cool: :thumb: :beer:

Anyway...I defrag it maybe once every 2-3 months...which is more than enough...at least i think so...(and dont care what others might suggest)... :twisted: :mrgreen: :haha: :wicked: ;)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you defrag so often, it's very unlikely the process take 3 hours... :whistle:

4. Johnie

Johnie Newbie

Oppsssss...my mistake CHAI...you got that right! :wicked:

But the question is whether it makes sence to defrag so often... :whistle: :think:

Because I personally dont care if loading of some program takes 5 or 5.2 seconds...because of that slight delay of few ms, caused by data scattered all over HDD... :mrgreen:

I believe that you gain NOTHING if you defrag every 3 days or "only" every 1 month or so...UNLESS...you copy great amounts of data all over the HDD in those 3 days...only then the drive might need to be defragmented more often...and even then I dont believe that this should be done every 3 days... :twisted: :cool: ;)

Its up to each individual to decide what is best for him/her...personally I believe I dont need to defrag so often...and if someone thinks otherways...he may defrag it even every 6 hours or less... :clap: :dance: :haha: :thumb:

5. Jet

Jet Just Started

I defrag my HHD very often coz i always copy large amount of movie to my pc.. Almost 1 gig of Naruto at one time through sharing.. :whistle:

And it doesn't take more than 30 minutes long to defrag my 80 gig HHD.. :D

6. Johnie

Johnie Newbie

1GB is not that much...even 10GB in 3 days wouldnt be much... :twisted: :mrgreen:

And since you defrag so often...those new files (1GB) are written at the end of the used portion of HDD...so they dont contribute toward bigger fragmentation...and even if you delete them often...so what...that still wont cause any major fragmentation...

The main thing is...that system files shouldnt be fragmented too much (yours surely arent :clap: ;) )...cause they are accessed more often...and that could cause system slowdown... :wicked: And in your case...that cant happen...even if you copy those GB files every day... ;)

But I agree...that doing defrag more often cant be bad...it surely improves drive's access speeds a bit...the only thing that might happen to you (hopefully not!)...is to shorten drive's lifetime for few days/months!? :mrgreen: But who cares, huh? :twisted: What are few days against eternity... :mrgreen:

Btw...have you actually tried to benchmark your HDD before and after defrag? Are there some visible advantages? I need to test that when I 'll have some time... :thumb:

Finally...its exactly as your signature says...Good or bad, it's hard to say. ;)

Good luck! :wave:

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

1 gb of naruto ?

there is one time i was sharing 40gb of naruto :haha: .. had to burn to DVD .. :p

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I never share out my 80GB of pr0n with anyone. You want, you come and copy! :hand: :haha:

9. Jet

Jet Just Started

Nah, i'm not interested anymore... :haha: