How to reformat NTFS Hdrive back to Fat32?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by b104, Nov 24, 2005.

1. b104

b104 Newbie

Thanks,if I ever get time I will try it.Rather than just a partition this is an ata 10gig drive.There is no data to save but after using XP to reformat I still need to install win98 as in earlier posts.Hope this does'nt change anything on posts.

2. b104

b104 Newbie

The reason I wanted to setup the 10 gig ata,was so I could install some of my older games that were'nt running properly on xp.I managed to format with FAT32 but everytime I tried to install win98 after the boot floppy it just read "not ready reading drive E: or F: or G: . :wall:
    I managed to install xp pro onto FAT32& it seems to have fixed the problems with Outcast. Some of the older games seem to really dislike all the changes everytime u change directx,graphic drivers,sec patches etc!
    You start to appreciate the juggling act that is asked of the guys that have to write new directX programs & update patches etc. Trying not to upset older files while repairing new problems!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  3. b104

b104 Newbie

Would still like to hear anyones ideas on why after formatting I receive the "not reading drive (x) message all the time with 98?
    Could, not having an original startup floppy from the particular win98 disc I have used, be anything to do with it?
    Or a master, slave thing? Come on you would-be future programmers !

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why would-be future programmers? And these would-be programmers don't learn how to format harddisk in school. :haha:

Have you tried reformatting the drive using Win 98?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Err.. Since you don't mind formatting it, why not just load up the Win98 boot disk and FDISK the hard drive and format it? :think:

6. b104

b104 Newbie

If you replied to my post ,I gather u have read the preceding replies?
    When my copy of win98 was installed before,I did not create a startup disk, Yeah!. So I d/loaded one of the many diff versions of a win98 st/up disk from the net, right! Some forum posts I read inferred that not all copies of the st/up disks would be suitable to reinstall my version. ok! So when I used the st/up copy from the net,it allowed me to enter fdisk & reformat as well but when I commenced the setup win commands all I got back was things like not reading drive E: or not reading drive F: etc, even ready reading drive E:.Would prefer to abbreviate a little more but dont want to make it too confusing.
    P.S As far as "future programmers " comment,it was'nt meant literally,only to suggest that if someone who can positively add a comment towards solving my post ,please do so!
    Hope this clears it up.

7. b104

b104 Newbie

That is what I have done,the problem is with setup afterwards.

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. It's not detecting the drive? That's odd. If your BIOS "sees" the drive, Windows 98 should have no problem detecting it.

You set your drive to Master, right? Or is it on Cable Select?

9. b104

b104 Newbie

Sorry for late reply.ATA is set to master & registers as secondary master.I'm certain the commands I used after format etc, for setup are the same ones that used to work perfectly before.
    XP pro minus any service packs seems to have fixed the problems I've been having with a couple of older games,so I'll let sleeping dogs lie.It seems pretty obvious that the serv packs appear to be the problem, with the games anyhow!

10. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That's odd. Service packs should not affect the file system. :think:

11. b104

b104 Newbie

I'm not sure why I cant install Win98 on my my newer system.The only reason I even tried to install it was to fix a glitch in Outcast.XP pro without s/packs has done the trick anyway.If I add any s/packs though,the problem returns.
    Infogrammes Europe does'nt exist anymore & Outcast was a critical but not commercial success,so I'm sure M/soft is'nt losing any sleep about whether it is any fault of it's serv/packs! :boohoo:

12. musikman1

musikman1 Newbie

Why format NTFS back to FAT32

A couple of fun reasons:

If you do a lot of music recording work, most software requires FAT32.

With FAT32, you can go back to version 6.0 of Ghost for image backups, as it pre-dates DRM and copyprotection. It's simply a bit-copier and pays no attention to anything DRMish.

13. Adrian Wong

That's a good reason. :D

14. Tech Tiger1

Tech Tiger1 Banned

Hi,
    According to me you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS in XP.So
    Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

Tech Tiger1
    Nucleus Data Recovery