How to tranfer ONLY MY OS from one SSD to another SSD

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ngomaichi, Dec 8, 2016.

1. ngomaichi

ngomaichi Newbie

I've been using two SSD's, one 120GB Kingston and one 240GB Samsung EVO, and the EVO has significantly better speeds that I think I would definitely notice if I were to migrate my OS to it.

However, both of these drives are already sorted between games and programs that I would like to keep on those respective drives.

Are there any programs out there, or are there any manual ways, that I can JUST migrate the OS and keep the rest of the data on the drives? (Reassigning drive letters is fine, I can always redefine directories, I just want the "physical" data to remain on the same drives.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

There are softwares that would do it. Acronis, EaseUS, etc.
    Did you Samsung SSD came with any software? My Crucial came with Acronis.

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

These tools clone the entire partition, right?

If I'm reading the OP's question correctly, he just wants to migrate the OS files; but this means the entire "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" would be cloned over too. Additionally, most software will have their own settings stored in the registry, etc... so I don't think migrating "only the OS" is really a viable option.

But I think the OP also needs to clarify what he meant by "both of these drives are already sorted between games and programs"... maybe there might be a solution, or maybe not... :think:

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Ops... You're right. I wasn't paying attention.

I have never done it, but i think it is possible and tedious..