I need a new PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trinity, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

For SSD, consider Samsung 840 Evo, Crucial M500, or any Intel. Choose the cheapest.

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Trin, I have a several Win 7 machines running with SSDs. 64GB up to 256GB (for boot disk... speed is AMAZING!!!). for just windows and steam, (gaming). I have had good experience with Samsung EVO and Crucial as suggested above. I would suggest avoiding the Kingston HyperX line as I have 2 of the 128GB versions and the both the connectors are weak and break easily. :nuts:

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I'm still thinking on this build. And I'm thinking i5 might be more than I need. And a SSD with an i3 and a standard hdd would be more then enough. Heck,,, I'm gonna use the intel hd graphics.:oops: No real games. More of a HTPC/webbrowser PC.:)

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If that's the case, you might want to consider Pentium series. They are still based on Ivy Bridge/Haswell, so they are still pretty decent for HTPC and web browser build.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ishtim, how did you break the connectors??? :shock:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, the Ivy Bridge/Haswell Pentium CPUs are really quite decent, and if you get a Haswell, they run very cool and use less power. Very suitable for HTPCs.