I need help on a Custom-build Computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkylineRemix, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Hi there,

I'm deciding to get a new desktop but i don't really know what should i need like for example the processors and which motherboard and so on.

So i would like to ask for help on opinions about what should i get. The custom comp that i want to build is more for gaming but not that extreme. A Graphic card that can play Need For Speed Most Wanted should be enough.

As for processor, i'm still pending on AMD or Intel C2D (btw, i don't really know what is overclock). And the RAM would be either 1 or 2 GB.

As for the sound system and the display, i don't know which to choose and ya... probably a 17-19" TFT or LCD monitor but don't know which brand to choose.

If there's anything else i'll update here cuz i can't really think of anything else here....

Thank You

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Eh, you forgot the budget. It is about RM 3000, right?

3. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Oh? the ucrrency use here is not USD ah? and ya... it's about RM 3000

4. Adrian Wong

No worries. Either way is fine. RM 3000 is about USD 870. :think:

IMHO, you get the best value with a custom-build computer, but if you think you need good service, then you might want to consider a Dell system. Configurable.. and with good service.

But if you want a custom-built system... Hmm.. RM 3000 should get you a cheap Core 2 Duo E4300 system. Try to get 2GB of DDR2 RAM if you can.

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Well, i have set a few things that i need to get with a RM3000 budget:

-Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz
    -19" TFT LCD Monitor (Dell or Samsung or Acer)
    -2 GB DDR2 RAM

As for the mother board, graphic card and the sound card, i still don't know which one to get yet

For the mother board, if possible a ASUS mother board. As for the graphic card, i'm deciding between ATI Sapphire or a GeForce 7600GS (I got that from a broucher).

6. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I would also like to ask for comments about this offer. Thx

Lenovo H100

-Intel Core 2 Duo (1.8 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
    -Intel 946GZ Chipset
    -Windows Vista Home Basic (If possible i would like to
    change to XP)
    -1 GB DDR2 SDRAm
    -250 GB SATA (7200rpm)
    -Dual Layer Multiburner Drive
    -nVidia 7300LE 128MB Graphic Card
    -19" Wide TFT
    -LAN, 6 USB Port, Keyboard, Audio Ports, Speakers

RM 2788

* Free Seagate 3.5" 250GB External HDD

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Athlon 64 X2 4600+ - RM410
    Abit K9N SLI 570SLI SLI ATX+2GL+S+1394 RM345
    Kingston DDR2 667 - RM120
    Western Digital SATA2 160GB - RM160
    Asus SATA DVD RW - RM130
    I don't suggest you to get 19inch widescreen TFT because of the aspect ratio and the vertical resolution, either you get 20inch wide screen or 19inch LCD, but if you insist, then get Samsung 940BW around RM700 max
    Colorful 8600GT - RM455
    Logitech multimedia kb and mse - RM50
    Edifier M1310 - RM99
    Cheap ATX casing with front USB panel and audio ports, but looked quite nice - RM50
    Enermax FMA 460W - RM265

Total - RM2635

The remainder can use to buy Original XP, or perhaps upgrade your graphics card to 8600GTS

At leats its better than getting Lenovo, all OEM parts, with lousy PSU

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I found out about these 2 things yesterday.

Wide TFT Monitor is cheaper than TFT Monitor.
    So i guess i'll probably go for a 19" TFT Monitor instead of my previous plan, the wide one...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  9. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

and btw... your kingston DDR2 is 1GB or 512MB?
    and for the m/b... Asus one got any recomend ah?

I also found another one from dell which i'm not sure if it's worth it or not and also want your opinion.

Dell Dimension E520

-Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
    -Windows XP Home
    -1GB DDR2 SDRAM
    -250GB SATA HDD 20.Gb with NCQ
    -19" Flat Panel Monitor (What's the differents with Flat Panel and TFT ah?)
    -256MB Nvidia Geforce 7300LE
    -16x DVD Burner
    -Dell A225 Stereo Speakers
    -1 Year Limited Warranty

RM 2799

*The HDD maybe lower than 250GB cuz promotion ended... hehe

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

The specs i gave you is 1GB DDR2

Compare your specs with my specs above, definitely mine is better

Every single part is better than your Dell or Lenovo

Dell and Lenovo is giving you

1) Shitty power supply unit
    2) Lousiest graphics card

do you really want those?

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Different ways of referring to the same thing.

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hi,

Dell and branded PC are not usually geared towards gaming - it's better if you can build it on your own if you want higher performance PC, and further upgradabilities.

If you are on a budget, my advise is, the AMD's X2 3800 will be a nice choice + 2GB RAM and a big HDD. :thumb:

Else, you can choose Intel's E4300 and with the other same config.

Video card - look for the nVidia's 7300GT (GDDR3) and the 7600GS. The 7900GS is a good bargain nowadays. For 8-series, it's not really recommended to purchase the lower-end ones - the best one is still 8800GT. :shifty:

13. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I get what you mean

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

AMD X2 3800 and Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, got any differents? (except for price factor)

15. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

i would also like to know about the mother board for this model and suitable for C2D or not:

Intel D945GCCRL

Thanks

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

At stock speeds, E4300 is easily faster than X2 3800+.

17. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

what about the X2 4600? same thing also?

18. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Get what you want. E4300 is a little bit more fast than the X2 3800+, but I doubt that the performance difference will be too critical in home use. The X2 will be very cheap, and also being energy efficient, that choice is very good too. Either E4300, or the X2 3800+. Well, if you are choosing the E4300 instead, you gotta spend some more on the motherboard too - they are slightly expensive than those of AM2s ones. :mrgreen:

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

E4300 is noticeably faster than X2 3800+, X2 3800+ is no match for the E4300 at all. E4300 wins almost every benchmark against X2 3800+.

As for X2 4600+, it is more or less the same performance as E4300, wins some, loses some.

If you plan on overclocking, E4300 would be a better choice. In most cases both will end up at similar speeds (3.0~3.2GHz, but E4300 has a small chance to go beyond 3.2GHz), but as you know, clock for clock C2D is easily faster than A64 X2.

20. Adrian Wong

The Core 2 Duo E4300 would really be a good choice. Cheap and fast. As for motherboard, there are some cheap Socket 775 motherboards at around RM 400-500.

Make sure you get at least 1GB of DDR2, although 2GB is really preferable since DDR2 RAM is cheap these days.

The GeForce 7300 LE is really too underpowered to do much. Might as well just use the built-in GMA950 on many Intel motherboards. If you want a cheap and good 3D graphics card, at least go for a GeForce 7300 GT (GDDR3 version) or a GeForce 7600 GS/GT.