I need help on upgrading my graphics card please

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by noradia, Aug 28, 2010.

1. noradia

noradia Newbie

Hi all another newbie to the forums,

I would like some help in upgrading my graphics card, my current graphics card is a ATI radeon 4850 and its not working properly. The reason why its not working properly I was playing GTA Episodes from Liberty City and my graphics card over heated, when I fixed the problem my screen resolution is the same but my desktop has shrink down. What I mean is windows 7 is saying that I am still running at 1920 by 1080 but I am seeing a black border around my desktop. I would like a upgrade not to expensive I've been looking at thecarp's graphics card comparison chart for all of the ATI radeon cards and I am looking at the 5570. The reason I am looking at the 5570 is that right now I don't have the money to get the 5850. So I am asking is the 5570 a good upgrade for me coming from the 4850? Right now with my current 4850 I can run games like crysis pretty well at high settings, same goes with Batman Arkyam Asylum.

Thank for taking the time to read this and I look forward the answers you guys give me.

Thanks Noradia

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

To be honest, that sounds more like a monitor problem, rather than a graphics card problem. Have you tried testing the monitor with a different graphics card?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like driver problem to me. How do you know that your graphics card overheated?

4. raj7749

raj7749 Newbie

hey

try re installing your drivers or if needed reinstall your operating system......also u can test ur graphic card with graphic testing tools..

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

1. Clean the heatsink.
    2. Could be a driver problem
    3. Black borders could be driver settings or monitor settings.
    I believe it is driver settings as I have seen my friends Dell laptop with ATI radeon having black borders if he uses smaller resolution (especially playing games)