Icon Change in XP, BIG Problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Durks, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Durks

Durks Newbie

Just today i thought id have a mess around with my computer (just recently installed xp), all went well. Its running nice and smooth. Then i got cocky and thought id have a play around with the apearance (i like to tinker with things when i really shouldnt). Was just a bit of harmless image changing..... or so i thought.

Downloaded a few new icons (my computer, doc folder, etc) and began replacing the defaults.

(On XP Pr0 32bit)
    I went into control panel, folder options and selected "file types" from the tabs at the top.

At the top working my way down this is what i could see:

[NONE] AudioCD
    [NONE] Drive
    [NONE] DVD
    [NONE] File Folder
    [NONE] Firefox Html Document
    [NONE] Firefox URL
    etc etc etc

So i clicked on :
    [NONE] File Folder

Then selected the "Advanced" tab.

New window popped up (edit file type)

Selected the "Change Icon" tab. Replaced the icon with my new one and selected "OK".

I thought this was for all general explorer folders but as it turns out its not because the folders icons in my documents had not changed. So i decided to poke around and check other folders but to my suprise, now when i double click any folder..... VLC player opens! What the ...... I did nothing more than change the Icon.

So i go back, in the "edit file type" box again. In the "Actions" box underneath the "Change Icon" option i see:

Actions:
    Add to VLC media player's Playlist
    Find
    Play with VLC media player

Questions if anyone would be so kind as to help:
    1 - Any one know what happened here?
    2 - Is it not supposed to have an explorer option?
    3 - What is - [NONE] File Folder - exactly?
    4 - Does anyone know how to switch the whole thing back to default?

Im so confused right now..... Please help me :wall:

Cant be bothered with reinstalling the OS again.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow... I have no idea if I still have a PC/notebook with WinXP... Let me see if I have one, because it would be hard to figure out what you did without trying it out on Windows XP.

But it looks like you set the Folder to launch VLC Player whenever you click on it, instead of opening the folder itself.

3. Durks

Durks Newbie

Thats the thing, i didnt touch anything but "change icon" and then pressed "OK". I cant understand how it happened.... It makes no sence.

I checked the actions list for " [NONE] Folder " a few notches down from " [NONE] File Folder " and it has "Open" and "Explore" in its actions list. Im guessing " [NONE] File Folder " is supposed to be the same only i can not change, edit or remove "Add to VLC media player's Playlist", "Find" or "Play with VLC media player". I have the option to add a new action but its asking me to do things i do not understand so i wont mess with it.

Apologies mods for posting in the wrong place.

Adrian i appreciate any help you can give me.

4. Durks

Durks Newbie

Im a very impatient guy so iv gone ahead and done a fresh install again.

Iv gone over to the actions list for "[NONE] File Folder" and the only thing there is "Find". I had "Find" set as default after the the problem first occured but it was opening in a new search window :wall:

I did a little googling last night and managed to find one forum where someone experienced this same problem yet no one could help. There doesnt seem to be a way of fixing this. Im guessing its some form of glitch that Microsoft never got round to fixing or maybe its because the job wasnt finished properly in the first place.
    Your not meant to be able to mess with the look of XP which is the reason for having to resort to 3rd party software if you wish to change the theme but at the same time, little things were added like being able to change the colour of your windows and change the icons so maybe the intention to implement full customization was started but never finished, hense the reason for this cockup.

Anyone still using XP, if your gonna change the icons then beware of consequenses that make NO FRIGGIN SENSE!

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm still using XP in my VMs, but I don't bother changing the looks. LOL

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sorry, Durks, it looks like we donated the notebook some time ago. :(

Your problem is truly perplexing. I remembered changing some icons back when I was using Windows XP, but didn't face any issues. I also messed around with the default program that clicking on the icon should launch.