I'm planning to lay CAT5e cables in the house, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup. I used a GL, and it's really solid. Never have problems. But Linksys products can be a hit or miss.

I have Linksys E3000 at home, still not using it yet.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm looking to upgrade to N.. probably within 6 months. Any idea what's the best Linksys N router that can be modified using DD-WRT?

3. Chai

None, I'm afraid. Is there a need to change to DDWRT?

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, they say DDWRT unlocks/adds features that makes your router equivalent with those enterprise routers.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Well, the easiest way to find out, check their wiki.
    Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

6. Adrian Wong

Thanks! But I don't think I've seen those Linksys WiFi routers the last time I went to IT Hyperstore. Will grab a few numbers and double-check again.

7. Adrian Wong

For one thing, I want to make sure the router gives me the maximum number of connections.

8. Chai

That is true. But how many of you really need those extra features? 'Some' routers are already giving tons of connections on stock firmware.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

This is a very good site on routers review.

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Dont really need all the features.

What I will want would be:

• Good number of connections (512 on stock linksys router is not enough even for one person esp when it comes to BT.)
    • Dynamic DNS
    • QoS
    • Port forwarding.

10. Chai

Not all stock Linksys have 512 connections. Some even less, some has more.

Which is why I hardly use BT now.

Actually, other than the greater number of connections, I'm sure the other features are pretty standard now.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  11. Adrian Wong

I think a good number of connections is very important, especially if you BT or share your connection with a number of people (as I do).

QoS is also important.. and not all routers have them. I know my current 3Com router doesn't. :(

PS. I asked Jason about this, and he says to go with Cat 5e cables. He says it's good enough.

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Geez my post jas lost. Retype. I am using Aztech homeplug. Upstair is the unifi fiber modem. I homeplug to the wireless + router downstairs next to TV so my NAS, iptv and WDtv live is connect via cable while the rest notebooks, desktop are connected via wireless. It works. Streaming from NAS to TV no problem and no messy cable. Just need 2 homeplug.

13. Adrian Wong

Any potential problem with HomePlug? Speed issues?

14. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

No issue with homeplug. BT running fine together with IPTV. No lag watsoever. Happy user.

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Btw any of you here has RJ45 crimping tool + network testing equipment?

Plan to lay the cables myself. Also where can I buy those keystones, wall plates, etc?

16. Adrian Wong

You want to crimp your own cables? Why not just go to Low Yat Plaza and have them crimp the cables right on the spot?

You can get them to cut the cables of any lengths you want, and have them crimp and test the connectors. I don't think they will charge for crimping if you source everything from them.

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Okay, now that I think again, actually I don't need to crimp the cables, I will instead use the keystones.

Anyone have experience with installing RJ45 CAT6 cables on a keystone? I watched some videos on youtube, and need to use some impact tool.

YouTube - How to Punch Down an RJ45 Keystone Jack with a Impact Tool

18. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

I've been a long term user of the homeplug and i'm happy to report it's most issueless, the only strickler being pure bandwidth. Best part is that unless you want to run Homeplug's encryption service, there's no software that you need to install, just plug, play and go. Of course, Homeplug's throughput depends on the amount of noise in the system as a whole. Your milage may vary, but it's mostly pretty good.

For CATx based cabling, my only recommendation is to lay the right cable for the right place. If you're going to run it near power cables and run it within the same case, going STP helps. If you're going to run it in the ceiling, to reduce fire hazard, use plenum grade for the self extinguishing jackets. In exposed areas use outdoor rated heavy jacketed cables and sealed outdoor connectors from AMP or Pomona.