In search of a new monitor

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by DarKSeeD, Mar 6, 2010.

1. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Hi, just sold my old Samsung 205BW and started a tiresome search for a new monitor, been through the same thing when I've moved from CRT to LCD. I can pay up to 300USD.
    So far my list consists in: BenQ G2420HDBL (LED backlit), Samsung SyncMaster 2494LW, Asus VH242H, Philips 230C1HSB, Samsung 2343BW.
    I tend to go on 16:10 display instead of 16:9 but it's not a must and I'm open to advices as far as they are documented and pertinent.
    Thanks in advance.
    Will use the monitor mostly for gaming, surfing the web and CAD.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I haven't seen any of those before. Current I'm using Benq G2400W and it's a great monitor for the money.

3. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I too have been considering replacing my old Dell 1905FP with something not so prehistoric. All this HD crud and funky aspect ratios has kept me from persuing this any farther than the occaisional newegg look... It seems that ALL monitors are going wide format...

4. Chai

Yeah, very sad. Wide screen belongs to the TV world, not PC. :(

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, Dell brought back their Ultrasharp 2007FP model. Unfortunately, that is the largest non-widescreen model they have.

With that said, I would consider Dell mainly for their excellent service. Anything breaks down, I just call them and they send me a replacement the next business day... :thumb:

This may be an important issue if you live far away from ASUS, BenQ, etc. support centers. Of course, their monitors do have the tendency to break down more often! :haha:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

philips 240pw, if u can find one.

one of the cheapest IPS display. really value for $$$

7. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The price of that monitor exceeds my budget, twice! It's 600USD in my country.

8. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That is expensive! :shock:

You guys must get taxed a lot for LCD monitors...

9. Chai

This is an IPS panel monitor, 600USD is still a deal for a 24" IMO.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:shock: wow i didn't know this model cost that much more in the states.

a year ago 240pw was known for its value!

I got it for USD$520!

11. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I live in Romania and that's an average price for the Philips 240PW9ES.

12. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I've ordered the Samsung 2443BW. I hope it will be as good or even better than my former 205BW. Anyway, I'll let you know how it performs.

13. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Since the Samsung 2443BW was out of stock I've ordered the LG W2443T-PF (D-Sub + DVI) who arrived in the next day - fortunately zero dead or stuck pixels. Now I'm writing from the 24" LG monitor and so far (with factory settings) video and games played very well, without any issues, at 1920x1080.
    The backlight bleeding is barely noticeable and the viewing angles are great! Too bad the monitor it's glossy :) I really don't understand this trend!

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Haha glossy LCDs. It sucks for me since my windows are behind me (so I can see the blinds reflecting off of my monitors). I think its due to a "richer" color (rather then it being diffused by an anti glare coating)

15. Adrian Wong

Yeah, the trend in LCDs is to go glossy because it apparently makes the colours more vivid. Personally, I hate it because the glare interferes so much, it doesn't matter if the rest of the image is more vivid than a matte screen.

16. Chai

I know some manufacturers are reverting back to matte.

17. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The screen is anti-glare, the plastic bezel is glossy and I had to leave on the protective foil until I find a better solution to keep the dust and finger prints away.