Increse the Fan Speed of nVidia 8800 GT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by bitpal, Dec 9, 2008.

1. bitpal

bitpal Newbie

Hi
    i was just seeing that my 8800's Fan Speed in GPUz is always 30% and temp also was aroung 50 degrees so i searched for this and found TechARP Article--------NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Overclocking Guide

U can see at this 2nd page of the Article that 8800 comes with its Fan's default speed being 29%

Then i downloaded the nTune software and it added some features in nVidia's Control pannel like Adjust GPU Settings in the Performance tab

But as u can see in the image below The OPTION to adjust the Core Bus and Memory Bus are ACCESSIBLE but GPU FAN SETTINGS is Greyed out so how can i increase Fan Speed???????

My mobo is Asus P5kC which has onboard Chassis Fan controllers and Software in the mobo CD through which Chassis & CPU fans can be monitored and adjusted. View attachment 24184

Attached Files:

2. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Try RivaTuner to edit your fan speeds, nTune isn't that good.

3. bitpal

bitpal Newbie

tried riva also but no help!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

5. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

they are all grayed out till you click custom clock frequencies and then the fan speeds should become adjustable... that and you can oc your card if you would like..

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, not to mention..what brand is ur 8800gt that your currently running?

7. bitpal

bitpal Newbie

mnie is XFX 8800 gt Alpha Dog edition

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Funny, the cards based on the reference design do not need to enable anything. The option was never grayed out. As stated in the guide, all I have to do is just select Direct Fan Control to manually adjust the fan speed.

9. bitpal

bitpal Newbie

Ya thats what i m surprised of
    this option was never greyed in the Article i read on TechARP site
    and for ur info--- i asked a friend to dwnlod nTune and see if he could adjust his GPU's Fan's Speed
    His Mobo is Intel 915 GAG and GPU is 7300 LE
    but he also said that overclocking can be done but Fan Speed is not accessible
    Plz help me some how
    I don't want my GPU to remian at high temps and its life become short.

I have installed Rive tuner once again but can't exactly fiddle with the Options,can somebody help me with step-by-step instructions

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, run the riva tuner...and follow the pictures attached below :D...i did check on the internet and notice that your card is using 4 pin (which usually enable fan controls)i can't set my fan control because i'm using 3rd party cooler :D

Attached Files:

11. bitpal

bitpal Newbie

Thanks Lucas
    I could increase the Speed of GPU Fan from Riva Tuner
    but as its said no one can get anything more than his/her LUCK
    Even after making it run @ 100% the Temps are the Very Same.:doh:

And u even can see the sudden Temp fluctuations in the 2 graphs above Fan speed @ 100%

Attached Files:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Did you hear if the fan sounded louder?

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

You might have gotten the batch of 8800's that do not support fan control. I had one.
    Maybe yours also has a faulty temperature sensor? Maybe you might consider an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 if all fails...

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, might wanna put some new thermalpaste on the core of the gpu :/..that might work..eh, but it's weird..from you screenshot, you fan is running 0 RPM.Which gpuz are you using?

15. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

there is a chance that the fan contoller on the card could be bad or you have a failed fan.. but try getting some AC5 (arctic silver 5) thermal paste and putting some of that on there. Just a rice sized drop is all you need on the gpu core... Make sure you clean off all old paste with a cotton swab and some alcohol.. make sure you dry off the alcohol residue... that should help the temps but as for the 0 rpm fan sound like its failed..

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Some cards might not even use fan controller.

17. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

true however most control them in the bios on the card... He should be able to do fan controls from the nvidia control panel under the overclocking options after he selects custom clocks...

18. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Yeah, which brand is the 8800GT? Some cards are stripped down to make it as cheap as possible.

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If the fan control works, you do not have to select custom clocks for you to change the fan speed. As pointed out in the guide, he can just select Direct Fan Control to manually adjust the fan speed.

Based on his experience though, it looks like the fan controller on his card isn't functioning, or not even there.

20. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

in my experience with the nvidia control panel for when i had my 7950gx2 i had to select custom clocks for it to allow me to control the fans... Sounds as if his card may have an issue... bios update for the video card could fix it if there is one for it... otherwise time for an RMA... I think he said it was an XFX...