Intel Centrino Overclocking Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Thanks for the advice, i didn't know its so dangerous...
    I've been using CG-IC952618 all along. The AGP slider is disabled. And by moving the FSB slider, CPU, FSB, Memory, PCI, AGP all increase together.
    So I don't really have any control over PCI & AGP speeds.

With over-volting from 1.308v to 1.414v, I can push my 1.73Ghz Dothan to 2.3Ghz =D

2. faceman

faceman Newbie

nice overclock indeed, do you notice much performance increase and much heat output. Also what laptop do you have, I am also curious to find out your ram specs. You might be getting a rather high clock frequency because of the PLL your using, might be adjusting the wrong values, give is a check anyway you should be right with the clock. At the moment im using the Athlon 64 PLL values and they allow me to control anything I want.

Using my ASUS W3N I am not able to push it any further than 1780mhz stable at 1.34volts. Might look into giving it some more voltage.

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

I dunno abt the PLL thing.

My laptop is Acer Aspire5502WXMi:
    P-M740 1.73Ghz FSB533
    Kingston 1Gb + NanyaTech 256Mb ( both running @ manually configed 4-2-2-4)
    Samsung 5400rpm 8mb 100Gb
    Mobility Radeon X700 64mb dedicated

according to this formula:
    OCed Watts=Default Watts*(OCed Clock/Default Clock)*(OCed Vcore/Default Vcore)^2

my new theoretical TDP jumped from 35W --> 42W, but don't really feel any much hotter even under stress test

So wad's ur laptop's specs?

4. faceman

faceman Newbie

currently its pulled appart so not really upto testing anything.

default was,
    Pm 1.6Ghz 400mhz
    Rad 9700 64mb
    512mb Kingston
    4200rpm 60gb hd

not really the fastest by todays standards but i got it new for $800 AU.

5. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

yours have pin-mod potential
    tweaking the fsb from 400 --> 533
    from 100x16=1.6Ghz
    to 133x16=2.13Ghz

6. faceman

faceman Newbie

i know, but my mobo says dif :naughty:
    its intel i855..... doesnt do the 533fsb man.....

cbf, i'd rather root chicks than overclock pc's now, cbf thinking...

7. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i don't get it?
    pin-mod got nothing to do with chipset...
    its just a very simple connection of 2 pins on ur socket...

8. faceman

faceman Newbie

omfg :wall:

pinmod makes your cpu think that its a 533mhz FSB version.... rather than the 400mhz FSB version. If you have an i855 chipset, it means it will only support CPU's with a 400mhz FSB, soooooo obviously you stick a 533mhz FSB CPU In there and what do you think will happen ? It wont work, the chipset doesnt support FSB upto that speed.

That is the reason why you need a i945 becuase it supports both 400 and 533 cpu's. So if you have a 400 CPU u pinmod that make it think its a 533 and it keeps the original multiplier of the 400, so when you up the FSB it makes the cpu run faster. Why ? think of it like this 400x16 , or after pinmod..... 533x16, which is the bigger number ?

Its effectivly like overclocking an FSB in a normal desktop, but this particular mod makes the mobo/cpu combination think its a different model, thus modiifying the speed but keeping the old multiplier......

9. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

oh ya, i forgot that i855PM doesnt support 533FSB

people usually pinmod on i915 chipset..
    not practical to pinmod a LV or ULV on i945

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Woohoo, thanks for that man. Your post came up when I searched Google; just tried it on my IBM R50e and it worked :mrgreen:
    Clocked it up to 17x105 with no problem...will tweak it and post more extensive results another day.

11. metaldwarf

metaldwarf Newbie

sager 4880

hello i have a Sagernotebooks.com
    model 4880
    also known as a Clevo M40A

i have thus far been unable to determine the PLL chip. ive taken apart as much of the chasis as i cam able to but am unable to find the pll chip. though through HOURS of trial and error with both setfsb and clockgen i have worked out that the pll is *probably* a realtek RTM series chip.

under clockgen i can read clock with the RTM560-266 pll however it crashes if i try to change them. the default values are also wonky when i first read the clock. they start off very low, but if i move the slider over it normals out.

the RTM360-408 also will read clocks but they are incorrect. it will not set clocks though it doesnt crash when you try, nothing happens thats all.

i am unable to read the clocks with any ICS chips or Cypress chips. this also goes for setfsb.

under set fsb i am able to detect speeds with the RTM865-433, though the "current" speeds are all zero and the "to set" speeds are odd. (CPU field is like FSB speeds, DDR is normal, PCI-E and PCI are wrong)

with the RTM363-210 and RTM862-487 plls i get a "chipset error"

so again i think though this trial and error that i have a RTM pll but not the ones listed above. does anyone know of any other realtek pll chips that i have not listed? more specifically can they be written? and where might i find the software to adjust them?

sager 4880
    Dothan 740 (1.73ghz 533mhz FSB)
    Intel I915
    1GB DDR333
    80GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM
    ATI x700

12. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

isnt the Realtek thing the integrated sound chip?

new clockgen doesnt work for me anymore, i still keeping the old versions which works perfectly..

download cpu-z from www.cpuid.com or RMMA from www.rightmark.org to check the details of ur system

13. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

anyway, nice hdd u haf there..

wonder why is ur P-M740 system still using DDR333...

14. czolgista778

czolgista778 Newbie

Sorry guys for digging out such an old thread, but there are still some thinkpad users :)

I have a T40 with 1.5GHz Banias which i would like to overclock. I tried that Setfsb for X31 , the C and D versions both give PLL error like this:

PLL Error 1880
    Byte count 7

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Looks like your motherboard uses a different PLL. Tried other settings yet?