Intel or 3rd party board?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Chai, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Please explain why did you go for Intel board. :D Reliability? :D

2. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Well, everyone got different opinions about Intel-boards.
    One says they're standard crap, another one stated they've got nothing special. Mine is, an literature shows it too, that this one is still the most stable and fastest (stock, not oc'ed) i875 478-MoBo out there in the market.

3. Chai

Oh, I don't deny their stable, fast and reliable! Intel boards are far more stable than any other same chipset motherboard tested! :thumb: But because of zero overclocking ability, I wouldn't get it. Please note I didn't say it's a crap board. It really depends on usage.

4. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

I dont think Bestia wants to OC it. He did say 'stock speeds'. ;) That sig would have to change too, though. Hehehe.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

intel board now support overclocking adi.
    started with the 875 board.

6. Chai

I couldn't overclock with i925X... :shifty:

7. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

:thumb:

I didn't say you did say. ;) :D

True.
    As I said, fast enough at stock-speeds, no need to oc' it. :D

It's done. ;)

There're only functions for oc'ing the RAM. But I don't mind, I don't need oc-functions on that board 'cause of it's usage.

8. Chai

In my recent i925X test, ASUS was faster than Intel... :p

9. Maximus_Detritus

Hehe, is this a dissertation on the i875 chipset or the i925? ;) I was under the impression Bestia got a s-478, not LGA775 board, Chai :haha:

As it is, I would prefer a third-party board, because of the (usually) increased feature set, and also because of the greater overclocking potential. Not saying that they are slouches at stock speeds, but maxing out hardware is a nice thing to do ;) I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of reliability for that sake, but not too much. My DFI board is remarkably stable in overclocked conditions.

DFI are good, I'd take them any day. Just wondering when they will come up with an AMD s939 board :thumb: That would be something.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

are u sure 925x dun hvae the burn in option?
    I can't remember the 925x desktop board but 875pbz desktop board definately has the BURN IN option in the BIOS.

11. Chai

What is the burn in option for? I think I saw that on i925X.

12. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Yup, you're right, sorry.
    Didn't take a look at this option. :D
    I did by now, but I'm still in no need of it. ;)

13. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

er.....now how on earth did Bestia quote me!?!?!?!

1. i didn't post :p
    2. i have no knowledge of such things!!!! hhahahhaa

damn imposters.

ZuePhok != goldfries

well anyways. how does one define stability? are 3rd party boards not stable at all? and how's the stability after OCing a P4 2.4c to 3ghz+++ ??

so what's the difference between the stability of using a 3rd party board vs stability of using Intel board? is there a limitation to the 3rd party board's stability?

14. Maximus_Detritus

Intel boards arent big on overclocking :) BUt they are remarkably stable, for the simple reason that Intel developed their own platform. IN practice, this means that their boards which have their own chipsets, are always going to be alto more stable, because they know the technology inside out.

3rd party manufacturers will, no matter what they do, be trying to implement someone else's idea. ;) Which is why 'experimentation', if I may use the word, is mroe in evidence on 3rd party boards than Intel ones, expecially in regards to the feature set and overclocking potential.

3rd Party boards usually sacrifice a teeny weeny bit of reliability to bring increased features and also bette roverclockign performance :)

Not they are entirely unstable, no. My DFI ran solid for three weeks straight without me switching off my PC, and there wasnt a single crash. I played games, surfed, ran benchies, it was fine. There was only the odd hang here and there when i decided to so do my OC'ing project :)

15. Chai

The BIOS is unstable... :snooty:

16. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

my ABIT BIOS clock date always reset when system is totally powered off.. (mains unplugged)

:mrgreen: .. how ar? .. hehehe

17. Maximus_Detritus

Sounds like either your BIOS is unstable, or your CMOS battery is KO'd already. ;)

18. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

unstable BIOS? oh really wow.......

ok. but i mean when in normal usage and gaming usage - does it face any real instability?

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

no problem :mrgreen:

i dunno if batt. KO or not..

because @ first i got it, it is already like this

20. Chai

If you have a buggy BIOS, maybe? Who knows?