Intel Prices One of Its New SSDs

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Like I said, there are other advantages for other uses, not just for your mobile shock proof environment.

Noise free and performance is refering to my needs. :mrgreen: I know you don't need performance, but you can't assume everyone to have same needs as you. :mrgreen:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No-no.. I'm talking about performance too. Might as well invest the money in a RAM drive. :twisted:

3. Chai

RAM drive is more unreliable.

4. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Apparently the wear of read/write operations forces it to disables some parts of the drive. How this works is unclear.

5. Adrian Wong

Well, it's unreliable in that it's volatile. Power goes off, poof goes your data. So it's useful for storage of temporary files and paging files. Actually, we can just create our own from excess RAM.

6. Adrian Wong

AFAIK, these SSD drives employ write algorithms that attempt to create even wear on all the cells. They also have spare cells that take over whenever any of the active cells fail. That's kinda like the spare sectors on a hard drive.

7. Chai

With SSD, defragmenting days will be over. :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Like all random access devices, they have no "seek" delays and no defrag issues. :D

9. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

Well it appears we are entering a transition period within the industry, the performance of SSD's is outstanding, but what is the releiability and warranty going to be like, that is what concerns me the most...Anyway guess time will tell...

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

SSD is not in its final form yet. the big guys can't even give an exact answer. the transition? what transition? there is no transition.
    HDD is here to stay for a long time. what you are seeing, and hearing, are basically sensationalized news coverage.

Consider this fact: DDR3 has been in the market for 18 months, and its pie size doesn't even get larger than 3% of the growth of some of the largest module houses. and mind you, we are talking about a matured memory technology.

SSD? they can't even sit down, and decide, okay, maybe we should just go multi cell. or perhaps the newer tech which i can't recall the name (sorry Im just too lazy to goog for it @ the moment). The outcome? inconsistent performances. you have drives that perform slower than the current crop of HDDs, and you have drives that outperform the fastest raptor available. and guess what, it doesn't matter, because they are all being sold as SSD. there is no classification. See the problem now?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  11. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

Yes I do, at this point in time there is no clear outlines or verification of what the industry expects from a SSD. For the home user I guess HDD will be around for a bit more yet....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008