Internet, and network problem

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by 1031982, Dec 1, 2005.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok, I will start with the internet problem first, as it's more important.
    For some reason it just disappears randomly, and then comes back. Now what makes it weird is any application I had running before the drop keeps working like usual, but anything new I open can't access the internet without a timeout. It's everything, and I did a complete re-install. Also, I disabled my firewall to see if that was the problem, no go. Any ideas?

Now, the network problem is this, I have my firewall configured to allow a pass-through for my Xbox 360 to use the media connect for streaming my MP3's over to it, but it doesn’t work unless I completely disable the firewall. I have Sygate's free firewall. Is there a way to get this to work somehow? I am behind a router with a NAT Firewall as well, but I like the security. (I don't want to play with Zone Alarm, it caused occasional drops of the net and I needed to reboot to fix it each time.)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sounds like a router problem. I'm facing this problem with my WiFi router.

After sometime, my Internet connection gets whacky. I have to reboot the router or just turn it off and back on again. Then everything's back to normal... usually. Occasionally, I need to turn off my notebook's WiFi card and back on again for the "reboot" to work.

1 person likes this.
  3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Great! Now the internet problem is fixed in full! I never would have thought of that as I never had to do anything like that with this router. Now all that's left is the network/Windows Media Connect problem. Any advice there? If I have to, I will run without a software firewall, as long as security isn't compromised. The options I have for the routers Firewall are as fallows, and all are enabled.
    FIREWALL
    Block Anonymous Internet Requests
    Filter Multicast
    Filter Internet NAT Redirection
    Filter IDENT(Port 113)
    VPN
    IPSec Passthrough
    PPTP Passthrough
    L2TP Passthrough

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

are u running zone alarm and sygate at the same time? couple with window XP's built-in firewall, you'll have 3 programs running.. :shock:

i read somewhere that even when you disable the winXP firewall, it'll sometime enable itself for some reason or another. so basically i set it up to let anything through.. but use sygate to monitor instead.

also, after 24/7 of online time for a couple of days, i sometime notice the connection will become unstable.. (i.e. not receiving or slow downloading) and a reboot or restart of the router modem does the trick (like what Boss said).

:mrgreen:

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

No, all I have running is Sygate's firewall. I had problems with ZoneAlarm, so I switched. Every time, I completely disable the internal ICS and firewall support, so it can't load without asking me first! :) As for the internet connection, this was th first time I had that problem, and I think I had the router funning for about 2 or more years straight.

6. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I figured it out, for some reason (I don't know why) the 360 system uses an open connection. (It doesn't use any program to access things.) Well, I set it so that only the Windows Media Connect could use the allowed ports. After I allowed everything to access it, (had nothing selected) everything worked! :faint:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005