Is this artefact? How to confirm?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by karhoe, Dec 26, 2009.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I left my PC on while I went out to get a haircut, when I returned, the first thing I saw was my Facebook page with some snow flakes effect, I thought it's some Facebook script to commensurate Christmas.

Then I minimized the browser and to my horror, I saw artefacts on the entire screen, I tried changing the DVI port on my graphics card but the artefacts remained.

Now that I have rebooted the computer, I do not see it anymore. My only concern is, if these are really artefacts, would it come back again? If it happens intermittently, not all the time, how I am supposed to prove to the distributor when I send it for RMA? How can I check if the graphcis card suffer from artefacts? Like for RAM, we can use memtest to check, what about GPU?

The card I'm using is Gainward Geforce 9600GT Golden Sample.

Screenshots attached

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2009
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That looks pretty bad. :shock:

Check your graphics card's fan - see if it's still spinning. However, I doubt it's due to heat... as the GeForce 9600 GT is a pretty cool GPU and well, it's only running in 2D mode.

Most likely the GDDR3 SDRAM memory chips are failing.... Best to RMA the card if you still can.

There's no "test" per se, except for the good old Eye Ball Mark 1 test - what you see. Just ask them to try the card out in their own system. No working card should produce crap like that. :hand:

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

On advise from Lacus, I ran FarMark and stressed it for few minutes, the temperature was well managed and it never go above 70 degree Celcius.

After spotting those artefacts, I turned off the PC, and when it reached the "Windows is turning off your computer" screen, the artefact disappeared just like that.

Upon reboot, and till now, they have not reappeared since then. I wonder if this error is intermittent, and if that's the case, how am I supposed to reproduce the error.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That is a very weird problem.

Have you tried running Crysis with Gamer settings? That will stress all of your graphics memory, especially if you use a high resolution and turn on AA. Never mind that it runs slow - you just want to stress the GPU and graphics memory to make sure they are okay.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Updated your drivers?

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

It's Furmark dude :p...Hmm still no news from Charles yet though...hmm, seems more like GPU issue than driver issue to me :/...had something similar with my 2900XT (temp 100+ and i get this type of screen in warcraft III)