LAN cable behaving weirdly

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Feb 5, 2011.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Guys, I am trying to extend my network using a router converted into switch.

I already laid down the LAN cable - 30m across the room.

I disabled the DHCP on the switch and connected the LAN cable over, it still could not assign the devices on the switch its IP addresses.

However when I connect the laptop to the LAN cable directly without going through the switch, the laptop can online and obtained its IP address from DHCP

When I bring the switch and connect it to my router using a shorter cable, the switch works and the devices connected to the switch can get its IP address.

Any idea why is this happening, if the LAN cable was not wired up correctly, I shouldn't be able to online when I connect my laptop directly to the LAN cable, but in my case I could. Just that I can't online when I go through the switch because the router could not assign IP via DHCP.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have bad experience with unbranded long cables. Mine wouldn't work at 1Gbps. :(

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

But all I need is 100mbps, and I already nailed the wires to the walls, DAMN !

But why is it that this is happening, can online when devices are connected directly to the cable just that DHCP could not assign IP to devices on the switch.

4. Chai

Try setting a fixed IP on that laptop.

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Tried, can't online.

Basically to sum it up, this is my problem.

1) The LAN cable doesn't seem to work when connected to the switch, that's why the devices couldn't obtain IP from DHCP (the status light is light up though)

2) The LAN cable works when connected directly to my laptop.

I also noticed that the LAN cables, 30 metres in total, runs parallel with the telephone jack RJ11 and at certain point, runs parallel with Astro coaxial cable, could these cables cause inteference that results in it not being able to communicate with the switch?

Bear in mind that it manage to communicate with my laptop when connected directly though.

Another theory is that the crimping might be done wrongly.

On normal cables, the cables are arranged alternatively between solid and stripes colours. But on my cables, the 'stripe' seems to be a solid white only, hence difficult to identify which exactly is the cable number 1,3,5,7 (stripe cable) - but again if this was fitted wrongly, I shouldn't be able to online when the laptop is connected directly right?

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

UPDATE - I observed the LED indicator light on my router is behaving weirdly for the port that is connected to the switch.

The light will come on, then fade away for 5 seconds as if there is no link, and then comes back on, and the cycle repeats.

There are 8 wires on RJ45, I am beginning to suspect that the dude who crimped the wire mixed up wire 1 3 5 7 since the stripes are not visible at all, it's plain white.

[​IMG]

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. But if your router/switch supports cross-switching, then it wouldn't matter if the cable is straight or crossed.

Also, they are supposed to test your cables after crimping...

It could still be a crimping problem even if he didn't mix up the wires. For example, if the connector is faulty or the cable wasn't crimped properly.

If it's a crimping problem, then you can still fix the problem by recrimping the connector. You will need to get someone to test and recrimp the cables at your house though.

8. Chai

Well, it still sounds like a cable problem to me. Best if you can test with a cable tester.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

That faggot was doing a shitty job, I told him I want 25metres and guessed how me measured? Satu 'depa' = 1.5 metres, back to stone age measurement.

ANd how he tested it? Connect cable, Yahoo!

Ok can access - no problem.

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I plan to recrimp the wire myself, if that works, I guess I have to rip down the wire and buy some branded cable LOL

But again, the cable length shouldn't be an issue.

I remembered this particular cable was 40 metres and I tested the 40 metres cable itself by connecting it to the switch to determine that it is working, then I went to the shop to get it chopped into 25 metres and took it home, that's when it wouldn't help in extending my network anymore.

11. Chai

I'm seriously doubting the cable quality used. Mine was also having these weird issues. No problem with the cable, just cannot hit 1Gbps, and it is a long unbranded cables.

Unfortunately, there's no way to buy branded long cables. Be prepared to get a 100m box of "AMP" cables which could be fake also. Get from trusted or reputable shops.

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Crap, I thought AMP is a reputable brand?

Well, I suspect it's the crimping, there's too much exposed wire at the end of the head, resulting in cross talk I guess.

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Another update guys.

Like I said earlier, the long LAN cable would detect my laptop, but the light indicator will only light up after 5 seconds whereas normal cable will light up almost instantly.

14. Chai

But it is hard to know whether you get the real AMP or the fake AMP, especially in MY.

15. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Why not use wireless?

16. Chai

Wireless is unreliable. I was using wireless on my desktop. But finally I gave up and decided to wire up a 20m of LAN cable.

17. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yeah, wireless can be inconsistent. Too bad I don't have wireless N or gigabit router :(

Laptop has wireless-n but no gigabit LAN. desktop has gigabit LAN. :evil:

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Turns out I'm lucky.

Just visited a relative and found out that his occupation involves laying down network cables for MNC and I asked him to give me some crimp plugs and he opened his kitchen cabinet and I see all sorts of AMP products, and he works for one of the 2 authorized AMP distros in Malaysia, he told me he has certified testers that cost thousands.

Good news is that he will be dropping by to fix my cabling issue.

Cause I need consistency and the LAN cable is actually connected to a switch that will serve my WD TV Live (which will broadcast HD movies to PCs around the house) and an IP-CCTV.

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Nah, my company issued HP EliteBook has Gigabit LAN, even has built in auto crossover.

I plugged in a straight cable to my colleague's laptop and we could share Internet.

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Just get a gigabit switch. Hook up all the PCs to the switch, and one cable from the switch to router (for wifi) and one cable from the router to the modem for internet. They're way cheap. A gigabit router is pointless for me coz the cable modem jack is 100 base :lol:

That and I just need it so that a all the PCs in the house (~10) can access the server (a lot of streaming media).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011