LAN cable behaving weirdly

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Feb 5, 2011.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

More interested in transfering files between my laptop and desktop. Don't care about my housemates :mrgreen:

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Gigabit switch is kinda pointless for me right now because 100mbps is sufficient to stream movies. But I will certain switch when my current modem and router die.

My Linksys AM300 modem and 3Com OfficeConnect router has been going solid since 2004, a freaking 7 years and they are still kicking ass !!!

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You will start to get irritated if you are transfering large files over the network. Only about 10MB/sec, instead of 60MB/sec+ (depending on HDD) on 1Gbps.

Although I can live with 100Mbps, my ultimate goal is to achieve 1Gbps.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I guess for now, using a USB drive to transfer is more than sufficient LOL, my house ain't a data center :p

5. Chai

Not really datacenter. Just think about transferring *ahem* HD *ahem* over the network. Gigabit switch doesn't cost that much actually. lol

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The problem with laying cables is that if you end up with lousy cables, it's a real hassle to replace them.

BTW, the guy who crimped it for you is supposed to test the cable with a proper cable tester, not hook it up to his router...

Anyone knows where I can get good, reliable Cat 5e cables? Have to start planning...

7. Chai

If you want, you can spend on a whole box of AMP cables, at about RM600 for 100 meters I think.

8. Adrian Wong

But didn't you say it would be difficult to buy genuine AMP cables? Or do you know a reliable source?

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Once you enjoy the file transfers, it's hard to go back...

70-80 MB/s transfers are normal. FLAC rips of my cds feels almost like I'm copying locally where in fact I'm transferring them over network to the server. Takes just seconds to copy 400-500MB.

With so many PCs/Devices (some of the PS3s in the house stream content off of it as well) connected to the server (usually streaming), I have never had a bottleneck. That and the server backs up the main PCs in the house at midnight (complete mirror image). So gigabit is definitely a must for me. The 8 port switch cost me less then $30 USD (D-Link). I bought a spool of US made Cat6 (1000ft) for about 100 bucks (lmao I still have like 60-70% of it). I crimp and test the cables myself too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

If you read couple of posts above, I did mention that my uncle works for one of the only 2 AMP authorized distributors in Malaysia.

11. Adrian Wong

Oh, yeah, but I didn't know if they actually sell direct to us. As you know, most distros will only sell to shops, not consumers.

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, if you want, I can help you to get :D

13. Adrian Wong

Great! Will keep that in mind when the time comes! :beer:

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Problem solved! Bought a crimper and some head plugs, googled up and on first attempt it worked !!!:D

15. Adrian Wong

Luckily it was just a bad crimp job. :D

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Ya man, would have been a disaster if it was due to cable inteference.

Btw Adrian, I managed to get a transfer rate of 7MB/s from WD TV Live Hub to my desktop PC.

17. Adrian Wong

That's just 56 Mbits/s... far below what your Gigabit cable and router can handle.

BTW, is that only from the Live Hub to your PC? What about the reverse?

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Will try the reverse and let you know. Btw the WD Live Hub seems to have a real threat now from Dell Zino, seems quite impressive though.

Btw, the Live Hub is connected to the router via CAT5E, so it's a Gbps link.

Tried normal PC to PC transfer and it hovers around 30-40MB/s, impressive !

19. Adrian Wong

That should be the kind of throughput we should expect from the Live Hub, but it's just not the case...