Lan transfers almost same speed as downloads

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Stephenishere, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Stephenishere

Stephenishere Newbie

I haven't ever been able to figure out why my transfer speed on my laptop is so dang slow, so I figured I should ask somewhere. I have a ASUS f3 laptop, 2ghz dualcore, 4gb ram, 160gb hd (7200rpm i think), it has built in wireless at 54, all with vista home premium. I don't do many transfers between my main machine (its fast with good drives, 10k raptor and a 7.2k seagate drive; runs windows xp) but when I do, it is unusually slow. Currently they are both sitting next to each other, both running with wireless g, with a excellent signal(router is less than 10ft away through one fairly thin wall). Currently I am trying to back my files up from my main pc to my laptop, a total of about 12 gb of files. I had a folder shared on my pc, so on the laptop I found the folder that was shared and dragged it from there on the desktop of my laptop. When it started, it estimated about 3 hrs ish, which seems very long. It has been transferring at only about 1mb/s which also seems very very low.

My question is, is this my laptop that is so slow on write speeds? is it just vista sucks at transfers? will my transfer speeds increase when i am transferring between windows 7 and vista vs xp and vista?

Any advice on making my laptop lan transfer speeds faster? or is 1mb/s typical of a wireless g to wireless g transfer? (i swear I've had way faster transfer over cables before, but its been a long time since I've been plugged in)

I appreciate any help :)
    (here is what I'm transferring currently)
    [​IMG]

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's a lot faster if you plugged in via LAN cable. Transfer over wireless is always slower.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I am not surprised if it is running at 1MB/s
    Besides, you have both running on wireless.
    You wouldn't be getting more than 3MB/s on wireless-G

Plug the cable, you should be able to obtain up to 12MB/s on a 100Mbps LAN

I did a simple test, my laptop download a 700MB file at 1.5-2.0MB/s via wirelessG from my desktop that is connected to the wireless router using cable.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It is possible to get such low speeds on wireless, especially if you are transferring small files.

Wireless LAN is naturally slower than wired LAN. You are unlikely to get anywhere close to 54 mbits/s bandwidth even with a very strong signal.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My LAN port is broken. :( Now I have to stick to ultra slow WLAN, even when I was on Wireless-N, I can barely reach 100Mbps (rated for 300Mbps max), and the transfer rate is nothing to shout about. Not even close to a decent 100Mbps LAN connection.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I do love my gigabit network... :dance:

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You are on Wireless N already? What's your peak throughput?