Laptop Recomendation

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Mc A, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Hm... not necessarily DVI port :mrgreen: Most monitors still have VGA input :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

I can give out the Style and go for performance and mobility.
    Is there any performance laptops which is 2KG n below ?
    Cos I really need a light weight once. I will have to carry it for half an hour early in da morning in the KTM where the sits are always full. It could kill me if I get a "BIG" laptop. :p
    If only there are some big laptops with light weight and high performance.
    or
    Some small laptops with the specs of the big/high performance laptops. XD

How I wish for that... :rolleyes:

Screen is actually not a matter for me. :D

I did notice this issue and this the limit to me. :(
    If im not wrong, only Dell supports up to 4GB rite ?
    Which are not shared memory with the video.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

2KG with or without batteries? I'm not really familiar with notebooks, but I've seen a number of notebooks with similar weight but you can hardly call that a performance notebook, to me lah.

That's good :haha: less one thing to worry about. Sometimes too greedy can really break your wallet :haha:

4. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

If possible with batt lor...
    haha....
    and yeah, it really can make us broke... :haha:

ok, i think should set my budget before it go up to 10k. >.<
    I think below 9k can get a performance laptop rite ??

5. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Below 9k :shock: :shock: :shock: , that's twice the budget I had when I bought mine, lucky you. Sometime you just can't get best of both worlds there limitations on what you can have base on the size of the notebook , say example only one RAM slot or maybe less processing power better heat dispensation.

Like I said before get a backpack, it's easier to carry your notebook plus less prominent to the snatch thieves (your never know).

Well I have no idea if all sony is glossy or not but if u are fine with it then it's fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Just wondering, do Sony notebooks have firewire ports? It comes in handy when transferring huge chunks of data, especially when it comes to video files. If you're transferring a huge load of small chunk of data, USB2.0 or Firewire won't make a difference, but when you have a large chunk (think video or even large image files) it comes in handy. I use FW extensively nowadays.

Some notebooks have Firewire, I recall my old windows notebook had a firewire (1394) port, although it's a 4-pin firewire (data only) and not the 6 pin one (carries data and power).

For that matter, how many notebooks nowadays have firewire 400/800 support in the wake of USB2.0?

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

9K OMG :haha: :faint:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

alot of branded notebooks have firewire / IEE1394 / i-link

sony will use the term "i-link" for IEEE1394

SZ only have 2 USB ports which is .. very lil for today's standards :mrgreen:

9. zy

Yes, Dell M1210 supports 4gb of RAM (but it is very expensive now)

if you choose integrated graphics it is shared with the RAM

if you choose Geforce 7400 it has 64MB dedicated with 192MB shared to give you 256MB :think: which cant be disabled but i think it is automatically used if needed ? :think: i'm not so familiar with TurboCache :think:

10. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

wow 9k :shock: :shock:
    i wish i had that kind of budget :)
    i think my screen is glossy, sometimes its annoying when u are sitting back facing bright light. But, it can serve as a mirror :thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The glossy LCD is supposed to improve contrast and produce more vibrant colours. That's why there's a trend to go back to glossy LCDs, especially for notebooks that marketed as mobile DVD players.

But unless you spend a lot of time watching DVDs on your notebook, the glossy screen may be a setback. The glare and reflection can be quite irritating.

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i like glossy LCD. shaper image, higher contrast and like adrian said, more vibrant colours :thumb:

13. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

erm...
    actually 9k is just a rough amount. Cos wat I saw from the Dell website was 9k for the M90, so I scare that I might below budget. So i just put there 9k. :lol:
    Ofcos it's better if there's cheaper prices and as low as possible. :D

Yeah, talking bout FW, I really need it too. if possible, FW400 or higher is better, cos I need to plug my laptop to the Digital Audio Concole for recordings and song editting too. :D
    Was adviced by lecturer not to use USE port to this case due to lost of some media source.

hmm....
    any other brands besides Dell supporting 4gb ram ?
    and If possible, without sharing wit video ram, cos I scare it might ran out of ram.... :(

14. zy

i cant think of any other mobile laptops with 4gb RAM support at the moment :think:

you shouldnt worry bout the shared RAM i think .. :think:

15. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, considering the budget size, and that this is not one of those buy and throw machines, as well as the expected usage for it, I would say that the DVI port is strongly recommended indeed.

If the user only needs a big screen to view large spreadsheets, then yes, the standard VGA input will be enough, but not for the sort of use that the thread starter will be putting the machine through.

16. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

max. 2gb would ok rite ?
    about shared RAM, it's wat im facing now. My laptop is, shared RAM and it goes slow sometimes. That's y im worried about. :)

I just check out the Dell laptops.
    I've try to customize similar wit the Sony, I found out the price is higher than the sony with almost the same spec. :shock:

17. zy

should be lower :haha:
    i configured my dell for RM7k.
    Hardware wise 5.5k :) that price cant even get you the SZ34 :haha:

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

all Core2duo notebooks support up to 4GB of RAM (2GB x2) but to upgrade them to 4GB....that is REALLY expensive... haha. Almost an additional 4K just for this upgrade for Dell notebooks! RM1K for 1GB.... madness!!!!!

Looking at your needs and budget, I think Dell might be the way to go. If you still want style.. Hmmm well, maybe travel to US and purchase a Falcon branded notebook LOL!

The Dell M65 is a solid machine. RM7K with a nice 3 years warranty (next Business day repair!) and it even comes with a 2GHz C2D and 2GB of RAM. upgrading to a DVD Writer and a 120GB 5400RPM SATA bumps up the price to RM7,305.00, in fact, I can't even find anything else to upgrade except for additional 2nd bay harddisk if you really want it. That's another RM700++ for a 80GB PATA disk (on a drive bay I assume)

It already comes with an Nvidia Quadro FX 350M with 256MB onboard. should be good enough for many things, even 3dsmax!
    and a 15" 1920x1200 LCD? WHOA. even more pixels than my 20" Dell LCD! Trust me that when you want to work on 3dsmax, you'd kill yourself using a 1024x768-ish screen. even on a 1280x800 screen, there's too little space.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/precn_m?c=my&cs=mybsd1&l=en&s=bsd

Damn, now even I am considering the M65.... gah!!!

19. zy

M65 looks wicked :O

too bad it might be a lil heavy.
    hmm ...

btw, getting a portable notebook, you might want to consider getting a notebook cooler because running CPU & GPU intense programs will rocket the temperature pretty high because like dell M1210 ... C2D 2ghz + Geforce 7400 is on the same heatsink with only one puny fan.

Playing games shoots my temperature up to 70C

20. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

wow...
    latest news i heard from my seniors, thier Dell M series havin problem.

Prob 1: always blue.
    Prob 2: a line on the screen.
    Prob 3: charger spoil.

Anyone having the same idea ? :lol:
    I wonder is that the reason they gave 3 yrs warranty... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.