Laptop Recomendation

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Mc A, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Always blue screen of death? I don't think it's a Dell M series specific issue.

A line on screen? Can happen on any notebooks.

Charger spoil? If it's the same as Inspiron or Latitude chargers, I doubt there's any issue, none that I've faced before.

2. fyire

fyire Newbie

Thing is, in theory 4GB max is supported by the CPU, but not many form factors for mobile machines support up to 4 sockets.

But anyways, its not really necessarily RM1k per GB anyways. Despite the recommendations from the manufacturers, most ppl tend to just get the standard amount of ram, then bring the notebook over to somewhere like Lowyat Plaza the following day to get 3rd party ram from there for about half the price.

Just get the shop to test for you before you make the purchase (of which almost all shops will allow you to do that should they have 1GB modules in stock). And don't just boot your OS to test, test run some of your heavier apps as well to make sure that all goes well.

3. fyire

fyire Newbie

Should those in the more senior years grumble enough about these 2 issues, then you might want to take note of the frequency of such issues happening.

Such problems may occur on any machines regardless of manufacturer or series, but its a well known fact that some series may be more problematic than others.

So if you're concerned with this one, talk to more of those in your campus who're using this particular series of machines, and compare the numbers and frequency of problems coming up to the number of ppl with the same machine but face no problems.

Having a 3 year warranty is nice and all, but to a lot of ppl, the inconvenience caused by having to send a machine back to repairs is not very convenient at all, especially when there's deadlines to be met.

4. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

hmm...
    then i really hav no idea how my seniors run the programs.
    maybe they just ran too much n get overload or sumting...

yeah, i believe that low yat can get better price than 1k for 1gb. in fact they could give some discount if get purchase more.. :)

5. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

erm...
    FYI, these batch of seniors of mine are the 1st batch to use the M65 n M90. While the senior's senior are using the older version, M70,M60...

So my batch was the second, so far my batch just running about max 2 prog. My seniors were running more than 3 progs.
    so I have no idea wether the campus could check this case or not... even the admins are using the older versions.

6. fyire

fyire Newbie

Take note of the differences between the following:
    - The blue screen of death

and these 2:
    - screen issues
    - charger problems

The blue screen of death is software related, while the other 2 are hardware related.

Like I had said, while hardware issues may happen to any machines, there will be certain series that will be more problematic in certain areas than others.

So again, its up to you personally to decide how seriously to take the grumbles from those in your campus, and should you decide that it might be a worry, then check more into it. Google might be able to help too here.

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Urm... I'm not going to compare with other brands but... hey, when I meant 4GB, it's 2GB sticks x 2... there isn't any mobile out there (except those PC mobos made into fugly 'notebook' case ones) that has 4 slots. AFAIK, even 3 is a rarity. that's why it's so bloody expensive to have 4GB on a notebook. which is also why it's a stupid idea to get it up to 4GB unless you're a Qatar prince who can afford a custom-made Carl Zeiss 1700mm Super Telephoto Lens...
    if it's 1GB sticks.. that's cheap. try asking for 2GB sticks and see if you can even buy them in the 1st place. even if you can... trust me that it will be more that 2K per stick.

As for Dell's 3 year warranty.. anyone who has used them would say that it's none compared to any other vendors out there. it's always next business day and their engineers would come prepared, with replacement parts and all. it may not be brand new parts but they will make sure it'll work when they come to repair it. But of course, there are always exceptions and the normal few complains... but heck no one's perfect...

in terms for chargers.. I think dell sells spare chargers at the cheapest rates, especially when you buy a spare one when you purchase the notebook. even their batteries are among the cheapest in the market. and not to mention that since it's one (if not the) most sold brand in the market, it's not hard to find a replacement one if you shop around lowyat both battery and charger.

IMHO, most software crashes are due to user problems. sorry to be insensetive here... but far more people blame the hardware where the fault is elsewhere... of the many years of using adobe 3dsmax on all the platforms I've ever used... never was there where it kept crashing for no reason. the only problem i ever had was when I was trying to load 3dsmax with their proprietry Heidi drivers (and I did something wrongly) with my antique Diamond FireGL card

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

This is probably one of the best reason why I choose Dell... maybe the only reason :haha: :haha:

9. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, that's why I had said to keep a grip on reality as well, and customize upon need and budget. With the current availability and prices, 2GB ram on a mobile machine is the most realistic. There's machines that will allow for up to 3GB, but I wont suggest going up to 3GB immediately unless one knows for certain that 2GB will not be enough. Should there be work that requires more than that on a mobile machine, then in most cases the slower disk on notebooks will start to become the bottleneck already.

Incidentally, how much is a 2GB piece for notebook these days anyways?

[/quote]

Well, at the end of the day, irregardless of what the problem might be, it'll always end up as being a human problem at the very core anyways :)

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeapz.. a stick of 2GB RAM cost more than RM2k & its not easy to find it here .. hahahah

11. fyire

fyire Newbie

Hmm... looking at this statement of yours, there's just something about it that seemed a bit odd to me, but couldnt think of what it is until I was looking at other threads elsewhere here. I had noticed that one particular trend in replies in regards to topics to do with the infamous blue screen is to point the blame towards hardware, which is contradicted in this particular thread?

12. Chai

Yes, I do blame on both hardware and software, but NOT the OS itself. It's most often hardware failure, or software bugginess, or user problem. I'm an on-site tech support guy, I haven't blame once on the OS problem.

13. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well, technically, the the OS should exit gracefully from a fatal error, rather than BSOD-ing or kernel panicking*. But of course, that's the "utopia" of OS-es and something that can't be completely achieved yet.

While BSOD/kernel panics caused by hardware is something which the OS really can't help, those caused by software should really not happen. A software should not be able to affect the OS till this manner, and if a software can cause the problem to escalate up till it causes a kernel panic/BSOD, it is an issue** with the OS already.

* referring to kernel panics, the so-called equivalent of BSOD on all variants of UNIXes including Linux and Mac - clarifying myself before anyone starts flaming me
    ** Issue being a weakness in the OS

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahahahahaah you obviously have no idea bout what this whole BSOD deal is all about. a view, (or should I say requirement) like that, even a younger callofduty05 can think of! :mrgreen: go read up a bit bout dispatch table before u start to talk about "software affecting the kernal", or BSOD..or kernal panics, or OS tsunami..ahh whatever..

now can everyone just shuddup and lets help MC A get his laptop.
    this thread is not about how awful the xp os is..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  15. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

On the contrary, I do know what dispatch tables are, and I have written one before in a simulator. What I am saying is, software/application errors should not cause a complete system failure, and ensuring that does not happen/minimizing that is also part of OS design. And I did not say XP is awful because BSODs happen. I didn't even single out BSODs.

And I thought Mc A has already got his heart set on the Sony?

16. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Annnnnddd i think i seen enough, all of you spent more time bickering over the platforms and what a definition of an OS is instead of helping Mc A

Regardless whether or not he has decided or not our main goal here is to help him not give out lectures on what an OS is or anything else. That being said..i dont care if windows blues screens out..i dont care how an OS should should handle kernel panics and i dont care what platform is superior or which OS is better.

These are all opinions and everyone has the right to an opinion, just not on this thread. You want to talk about all this stuff start a new thread. The one thing that does matter is trying to help Mc A decide on a laptop i dont want lectures if i wanted a lecture i would have gone and met my professor

Anymore of this and this thread goes away and i will start a new one that will actually answer questions. Thats all i wanted to say now lets continue to help him

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  17. Chai

Well said, couldn't have said it better.

18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

So Mc A, already chosen your notebook?

IMHO, I think the Dell M65 packs a punch and is more powerful than the Sony... and one of the main advantage is the screen resolution. So, I think you should check it out.

*start of rant*
    And forgive me if I'm going a little insensitive here... but if you are choosing Sony just to be different from your batchmates or your seniors, please check the ego at the door, especially if the money to purchase the notebook isn't your own hard earn cash. Now... of course I'm nobody to tell you what to do, but heck, here's just an advice as I've seen many people get something just for the bling rather than actually spending it on what they need for their studies...
    *end of rant*

But whatever you do choose to buy, make sure you feel good about it. Haha! Very important so that you don't regret it...

Cheers!

:)

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Well said... I've already warned them about this a few times, stop leading others going off topic, but they never seem to listen :roll: If you are soooo going to talk about OS or something that doesn't really related to Mc A's laptop purchase, go start a new thread elsewhere :roll: :roll:

20. fyire

fyire Newbie

Sure there's the warn this warn that blah blah blah, but I also see a lot of talks in regards to the warranty that is secondary to the main issues of concern that should be looked into here when it comes to deciding on which brand or series to get.

It is a fact indeed that there will be some series with more problems than others. Looking at most reactions on here, I'm sure that everybody will agree that the budget of 7k to 9k is a rather large sum of money indeed. How would you feel if say, you are to purchase a Mercedes Benz, only to have to send it back to the shop to fix this and that like every 3 months, warranty or no? It is the same thing here. That amount of money spent on a notebook is a rather large sum, so it does help to check more on things rather than just saying that 'Oh, dun worry about potential problems, the warranty covers it all'.

Potential problems are indeed something to worry about, warranty or no, especially due to the 7k to 9k price tag attached.

I'm not saying that that the complains about issues with the series of notebooks that the fellow's seniors r true, but just that should there be enough complains for him to hear about it, then it will be a good idea to go and investigate more on it, and determine for himself on the defects ratio of the particular series that he's been eyeing, based on statics that he should be able to gather among those using that particular type of machines on his campus. Sure there will be those who claim that they've never had any problems, but for all you know there might be many more that would claim that they've got plentiful of problems. Only way to find out is to go and investigate more.

If you want to be helpful, you can give advice on how to check into things like this as well instead of just giving assurances that the warranty covers it all, which is distracting from the issue of the possibly higher than normal defects ratio. Do you even start to see what I'm talking about here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.