Legal Basis For MCMC’s Censorship Of Sarawak Report

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This isn’t the first time the MCMC has blocked access to websites. Many Malaysians argue that it’s illegal for the MCMC to block their access, which was supposedly enshrined by the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

[​IMG]

Ironically, that is the same Act the MCMC is using to block access to Sarawak Report. Let’s examine the legal basis for MCMC’s censorship of Sarawak Report. You will see that it is the same for all other websites that the MCMC blocked in the past, and will block in the future.

Read all about it @ Legal Basis For MCMC's Censorship Of Sarawak Report

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I didn't even realise this since I was using Google dns all the time :haha:

3. Adrian Wong

4. Adrian Wong

Legal Basis For MCMC’s Censorship Of Sarawak Report (Updated!)

After posting this article, I had an interesting discussion with Arnoud Zwemmer. He pointed out that Section 263 (2) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 allows the MCMC to request that their licensees (read : ISPs) block websites in order to “prevent offences” and also “for the preservation of national security”.

[​IMG]

Arnoud is of the opinion that, as a regulatory authority, the MCMC has first privilege of acting without going through due process, just by evaluating the complaint against the The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Content Code.

Read all about it @ Legal Basis For MCMC's Censorship Of Sarawak Report (Updated!)